Help on field lines simulation

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of showing the expansion of magnetic field lines in a coil and the confusion surrounding the direction and appearance of these lines. The speaker mentions using Matlab to plot vector fields and suggests using the "quiver" command to make the process simpler.
lechko
Hello everyone, I am trying my best to do this simulation on Matlab to show the expancion of Magnetic field lines out of a coil. Now, finding the amplitude and direction of the field at a given place is pretty simple, the trick is to produce those tidy lines we all see in books, i gather they are supposed to be tangential to the field direction but there has to be something that I am missing... why in all of the books they chose to show us those curving lines and when u think of it, it's supposed to be a page filled with arrows.
I really hope this question is not inappropriate here but I am sure there's smtng I'm missing there and can't quite figure what.

thank you
lechko

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums, Lechko!

Every point in a field has a magnitude. The pics in the books trim them out for clarity.

If you're doing it in Matlab, you may want to look into the quiver and quiver3 commands. They plot vector fields with magnitude (u(i),v(i),w(i)) at points (x(i),y(i),z(i)) which are fed into the command.

so every poit on the same line has the same magnitude and the "quiver" command will just point them out? great!
i already started thinking of some complicated "For"-"If" structure :)
thanks alot!

1. What is a field lines simulation?

A field lines simulation is a computer-generated model that shows the direction and strength of an electric, magnetic, or gravitational field in a given space. It uses mathematical equations and algorithms to plot the lines of the field, which can help visualize and understand the behavior of the field.

2. How does a field lines simulation work?

A field lines simulation works by using mathematical models and algorithms to calculate the direction and strength of the field at different points in space. The data is then used to plot the lines of the field, which can be viewed in a visual representation on a computer screen.

3. What can field lines simulations be used for?

Field lines simulations can be used for a variety of purposes, such as studying the behavior of electric or magnetic fields in different scenarios, visualizing the effects of different objects on a field, and predicting the movement of charged particles in a field.

4. How accurate are field lines simulations?

The accuracy of a field lines simulation depends on the quality of the mathematical models and algorithms used, as well as the accuracy of the input data. In general, these simulations can provide a good visualization and understanding of the field, but may not always accurately predict real-world behavior.

5. Are there different types of field lines simulations?

Yes, there are different types of field lines simulations depending on the type of field being modeled. Some common types include electric field lines simulations, magnetic field lines simulations, and gravitational field lines simulations.