Covalent Bonding: Boron's 5 Valence Electrons

In summary, the conversation is discussing the bonding properties of the element Boron. It is mentioned that Boron has 5 valence electrons and can form 3 covalent bonds with other atoms of Boron. However, there is a question about whether Boron can also form a single covalent bond with three separate atoms of Boron or other elements. It is clarified that Boron actually has 3 valence electrons and is in Group IIIA (or 13) on the periodic table. The conversation then shifts to discussing a Lewis structure for a Boron compound. The person asks for clarification on what Boron is bonding with.
kassandra
More questions lol.

Ive looked this up and still can't get a clear answer.

Lets say you have Boron...this atom has 5 valence electrons.

I know that it can just have 3 covalent bonds with one other atom of Boron like this:
:B
lll
B

But could it not just have a single convalent bond with three separate atoms of Boron or any other atom for that matter like this:
B
l
:B-B
l
B

or this:
Li
l
:B-H
l
Rb

or even this:
Be
ll
:B-H

I have an even more complicated questions but I need the answer to this one first lol.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
no B has 3 valence electrons, it is in Group IIIA (or 13). (It does have is 5 electrons but that includes 2 core electrons that are not involved in bonding)

Is your next problem trying to draw a Lewis structure of a boron compound?

No, just trying to figure out everything 100%
I only had one set of questions and they are done. Now were just going over the chapters and i don't want to get behind

well what is Boron bonding with?
If its previously stated then i apologize i was not paying attention

1. What is a covalent bond?

A covalent bond is a type of chemical bond where atoms share electrons in order to achieve a stable electron configuration. This sharing of electrons allows atoms to form molecules.

2. How many valence electrons does boron have?

Boron has 5 valence electrons, meaning it has 5 electrons in its outermost energy level.

3. How does boron use its 5 valence electrons in covalent bonding?

Boron typically forms covalent bonds by sharing its 5 valence electrons with other atoms, such as carbon or oxygen. This allows boron to achieve a stable octet (8 electrons in its outermost energy level).

4. What is the Lewis dot structure for boron?

The Lewis dot structure for boron would show 5 valence electrons as dots around the element symbol. It would look like: B • • • • •

5. Why does boron only have 5 valence electrons?

Boron has 5 valence electrons because it is located in group 13 on the periodic table, which means it has 3 valence electrons in its third energy level and 2 in its second energy level. This results in a total of 5 valence electrons.