How useful are thermometers if they only show their temperature?

• Thread starter gdpudasaini
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
However, if not calibrated properly, they may not give an accurate reading. In summary, thermometers can be useful tools for measuring temperature if used correctly and calibrated properly.
gdpudasaini
Thermometer are useless because it shows its own reading? Please someone answer me how.

Science news on Phys.org
I am not sure I understand you question.
Are you asking how we calibrate thermometers?
I.e. how to relate what a thermometer shows to the thermodynamic temperature.

Yeah, it's a badly worded question. Are you suggesting that the thermometer reads only its own temperature? If so, then you are correct; but... its own temperature is determined by its environment, so it gives an accurate account of what it's measuring.

Any instrument can be useless. It all depends on their proper usage and calibration. Thermometers are obviously not useless when used within their devised usage. Again, please restate your question.

Thermometers are designed to quickly achieve thermal equilibrium with their surroundings, thus reading the temperature of the surrounding.

1. How do thermometers measure temperature?

Thermometers measure temperature using either a liquid (such as mercury or alcohol) that expands or contracts in response to temperature changes, or a digital sensor that detects changes in electrical resistance.

2. Why do thermometers only show their temperature?

Thermometers are designed specifically to measure and display temperature. They are not capable of measuring other properties, such as humidity or pressure.

3. How accurate are thermometers?

The accuracy of a thermometer depends on various factors, such as the quality of the materials used and the calibration of the instrument. Most thermometers have an accuracy of within 1 degree Celsius or Fahrenheit.

4. Can thermometers be used for different types of substances?

Yes, thermometers can be used to measure the temperature of various substances, including liquids, solids, and gases. However, different types of thermometers may be more suitable for different substances.

5. How useful are thermometers in everyday life?

Thermometers are incredibly useful in everyday life, as they allow us to monitor and adjust the temperature of our surroundings, determine if food is cooked to a safe temperature, and track changes in weather conditions.