Will 4 sides FARADAY CAGE work?

In summary, a person is considering covering their room in conductive material in order to reduce the RF field strength. They will then ground the material to the electric ground socket in the apartment. They believe that this will reduce the field strength. They also mention that the source of the interference is unknown and that there are more practical solutions than shielding the room.
piriya
Hello all,

I plans to reduce RF strength in my apartment by cover the room with conductive material.
- Cover 2 walls which facing the boardcasting tower.
- Cover the floor and ceiling.
Total 4 sides (since the material is quite expensive)

Then I'll grounded them to the apartment electric ground socket.

As I understand, when radio wave hits grounded conductive material, it will change to electric charge and neutralized through the ground. If this is correct, I should get quite good result from this 4 sides covering.

I don't means to perfectly shield the room. Just to reduce field strength.

Theoretically, Will this work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you had a perfect faraday cage then no electric fields would be able to penetrate it, that is the reason mobile phones don't work in lifts. But if you don't cover two sides then there is going to be radio waves still entering your room. The metal shielding will absorb some of the waves but i still think a large amount will penetrate the room, i don't know for sure though.

It's ok to let some EM through. I just needs to reduce some field strenght inside the room.

Think is, I'm afraid that covering 4 sides will not reduce anything at all...

Can anyone help?

The way I see it is through the analogy of water flow. The total flux into a "box" with four walls is not greatly less than into one with no walls at all.

It depends on the incidence of the waves to the structure. Ie: if you take a pyramid cage with an open base and point the tip directly at the EM source, the signal inside the pyrimid at the tip is vastly diminished, but near or at the plane of the base is much less diminished.

Also, if there are nearby structures opposite the transmitter say a block away from your room that reflect the signal back into the open side of your box then you have a real problem.

I would suggest an empirical test would be your best bet before you invest a lot of money. Buy a 2m square piece of metal screening and put in a frame. Ground frame. Then use a meter to check the field strength in the centre of the side facing the transmitter vs. the strength on the shielded, or actually shadowed side. If the difference is minimal then you know that reflected energy is a significant factor and you need a full shield. If the difference is very high, then perhaps a partial shield will do. Just remember the shield you discuss will at best, only really help the half of the room closest to the center of the shield.

piriya said:
I don't means to perfectly shield the room. Just to reduce field strength.

What is the interfering source? What is the frequency and modulation (like, is it an AM broadcast tower around 1MHz?)? What equipment do you have that you need to cut the interference with? There are much more practical solutions than shielding your whole apartment.

1. How does a Faraday cage work?

A Faraday cage is an enclosure made of conductive material that blocks electromagnetic fields from entering or exiting the space. This is achieved by the material redistributing the electric charge of the field throughout its surface, canceling out the field inside the cage.

2. Can a Faraday cage protect against all types of electromagnetic radiation?

No, a Faraday cage can only protect against certain types of electromagnetic radiation, specifically those with frequencies lower than the cage's mesh size. Higher frequencies, such as X-rays and gamma rays, can still penetrate the cage.

3. Can a Faraday cage protect against lightning strikes?

Yes, a Faraday cage can protect against lightning strikes as long as it is properly grounded. The cage will redirect the electric charge from the lightning strike around the enclosed space, protecting anything inside from damage.

4. How do I know if a Faraday cage is working?

The best way to test a Faraday cage is to place a cell phone or radio inside and see if it receives a signal. If the signal is blocked, then the cage is working. However, it is important to note that the effectiveness of a Faraday cage can also depend on the strength and frequency of the electromagnetic field it is being tested against.

5. Will a Faraday cage work if it has holes or gaps?

Ideally, a Faraday cage should not have any holes or gaps in order to effectively block electromagnetic fields. However, depending on the size and location of the holes or gaps, the cage may still provide some level of protection. It is best to consult with a professional and use a cage with minimal or no holes for maximum effectiveness.