Is this correct?Is f onto if g∘f is onto and g is one-to-one?

In summary: Sort of. But it's not too clear. You start out saying that there exists a y, and at the end it changes to for all y. You should start out by saying for ALL y (something, something) and end up saying, there EXISTS an x.
IProto

Homework Statement

Let f: X[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]Y and g: Y[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]Z be functions. Prove or disprove the following: if g[tex]\circ[/tex]f is onto and g is one-to-one then f is onto.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm honestly not sure what to do with this. I believe that the statement is true as I cannot think of an instance where it would be false, however actually proving it is another story. I know that:

since g[tex]\circ[/tex]f is onto that [tex]\forall[/tex]z[tex]\in[/tex]Z, [tex]\exists[/tex]x[tex]\in[/tex]X so that g[tex]\circ[/tex]f(x) = z

and I believe g must be onto so [tex]\forall[/tex]z[tex]\in[/tex]Z, [tex]\exists[/tex]y[tex]\in[/tex]Y so that g(y) = z.

and since g is one-to-one [tex]\forall[/tex]y,z[tex]\in[/tex]Y, if g(y) = g(z) then y=z.

I just don't know what to do with all of that. I've started by assuming y[tex]\in[/tex]Y and x[tex]\in[/tex]X but again I don't know what to do with those assumptions =\.

Since I believe the statement true I want to show [tex]\forall[/tex]y[tex]\in[/tex]Y, [tex]\exists[/tex]x[tex]\in[/tex]X si tgat f(x)=y.

Anyway I've been mashing my head against a wall over this to no avail so far. If anyone could help me I'd greatly appreciate it. This is for an assignment that's due tomorrow and it's the last one I'm unable to get. FYI the reason I said g is onto is from a previous question I had to show if g[tex]\circ[/tex]f is onto then g must be onto as well.

Oh, and sorry for the horrible formatting, I'm not to good with the formula creator.

Physics news on Phys.org
Prove it by contradiction. Pick a y in Y such that there is no x in X with f(x)=y. What next? What can you say about g(y)?

Before I do that I'm going to post what I was just working on, I may be onto something with a direct proof (no pun intended). Any comments appreciated.

Let f: X -> Y and g: Y-> Z be functions so that g is ont-to-one and gof is onto. Let z[tex]\in[/tex]Z. Since g is onto [tex]\exists[/tex]y[tex]\in[/tex]Y such that g(y)=z. Also, since gof is onto [tex]\exists[/tex]x[tex]\in[/tex]X such that gof(x)=z. Since gof is one-to-one and gof(x) = g(f(x)) = z = g(y) it follows that f(x) = y for all y,z[tex]\in[/tex]Y. This gives us [tex]\forall[/tex]y[tex]\in[/tex]Y,[tex]\exists[/tex]x[tex]\in[/tex]X such that f(x)=y, thus f is onto.

Sort of. But it's not too clear. You start out saying that there exists a y, and at the end it changes to for all y. You should start out by saying for ALL y (something, something) and end up saying, there EXISTS an x.

IProto said:
Before I do that I'm going to post what I was just working on, I may be onto something with a direct proof (no pun intended). Any comments appreciated.

Let f: X -> Y and g: Y-> Z be functions so that g is ont-to-one and gof is onto. Let z[tex]\in[/tex]Z. Since g is onto [tex]\exists[/tex]y[tex]\in[/tex]Y such that g(y)=z.
You were NOT given that g is onto. The only condition on g is that it is one-to-one.

Also, since gof is onto [tex]\exists[/tex]x[tex]\in[/tex]X such that gof(x)=z. Since gof is one-to-one and gof(x) = g(f(x)) = z = g(y) it follows that f(x) = y for all y,z[tex]\in[/tex]Y. This gives us [tex]\forall[/tex]y[tex]\in[/tex]Y,[tex]\exists[/tex]x[tex]\in[/tex]X such that f(x)=y, thus f is onto.

What is an onto composite function?

An onto composite function is a type of mathematical function that maps elements from one set to another. It is also known as a surjective composite function, meaning that every element in the output set has at least one corresponding input element. In other words, the function covers the entire range of the output set.

How is an onto composite function different from other types of composite functions?

An onto composite function differs from other types of composite functions, such as one-to-one and many-to-one functions, in that it must cover the entire range of the output set. This means that every element in the output set must have at least one corresponding input element, making it a surjective function.

What are some real-world examples of onto composite functions?

Some common examples of onto composite functions include converting temperatures from Celsius to Fahrenheit, converting currency from one country to another, and solving for the roots of a polynomial equation. In each of these examples, there is a clear mapping from one set of values to another, with all elements in the output set having at least one corresponding input element.

How can you determine if a function is an onto composite function?

To determine if a function is an onto composite function, you can use a few different methods. One way is to graph the function and see if it covers the entire range of the output set. Another method is to use the horizontal line test, where you draw horizontal lines across the graph and see if they intersect the function more than once. If the function passes the horizontal line test, it is an onto composite function.

What are the properties of an onto composite function?

An onto composite function has a few key properties. Firstly, it must be a composite function, meaning it is made up of two or more functions. Secondly, it must be surjective, meaning it covers the entire range of the output set. Finally, it must be invertible, meaning it has a unique inverse function that maps elements from the output set back to the input set.