Angular Speed of Fishing Line [SOLVED]

In summary, the problem involves a fisherman reeling in a fishing line onto a reel with a constant speed. The reel has a radius of 3.0 cm and the line is 2.6 m long. To find the angular speed of the reel, the circumference of the reel (0.19 m) is divided by the length of the line (2.6 m) to determine how many times the line can wrap around the reel. This number is then multiplied by 2*pi to get the total angular displacement (in radians). Finally, this value is divided by the time (9.8 seconds) to get the angular speed of the reel, which is approximately 8.76 rad/s.
rcmango
[SOLVED] angular speed.

Homework Statement

In 9.8 s a fisherman winds 2.6 m of fishing line onto a reel whose radius is 3.0 cm (assumed to be constant as an approximation). The line is being reeled in at a constant speed. Determine the angular speed of the reel.
rad/s

Homework Equations

w = w0 + a*t

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why i can't solve this with this kinematic equation. please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
He's reeling it at a constant speed, so there's no acceleration. Figure out how many radians the 3.0 cm radius reel goes through knowing that there is 2.6 m of line.

theta = w* t

so, 2.6 = w(9.8)

= .27
okay so that's the radians i believe. Now what's next.

The equation you have there is the one you will use after you figure out theta. Make sure to check your units to see that they make sense when you do a calculation. What you have there is an answer in m/s, which isn't anything like radians.

There are 2*pi radians in one revolution (or in a circle). So you need to figure out how many times a length of 2.6 m can go around a circle of radius 3.0 cm. Do you know how to find the circumference of a circle?

Once you know that, you can find theta because you know how many times the string has gone around the reel, and you know how many radians there are in one trip around the reel.

alright circumference, is pi * 2r which is about 18.84

but, i believe this is the distance around the something?
not sure how to use this to get the answer though.
if i can find theta using this, then this must be the w in the equation i used?

rcmango said:
alright circumference, is pi * 2r which is about 18.84
You need to change the 3.0 cm into meters. You have to keep your units consistent, keep track of them.

but, i believe this is the distance around the something?
Yes the circumference is the distance around the reel.
not sure how to use this to get the answer though.
So, if you have 2.6 m of line, and the circumference is 0.19 m, how many times can you wrap the line around before you don't have any left?

Then, for each wrap of the line around the reel, the angle you are going through is 2*pi radians (or 360 degrees). Multiply how many times you can go around the reel by 2*pi to get the total angular displacement (in radians).

if i can find theta using this, then this must be the w in the equation i used?
I don't quite understand what this means, but the number I've described how to find is theta. w is what the problem has asked you to find. The units of w should be radians/second. Keep track of your units to see if you get that in the end.

thanks for the help with this problem, okay, i found 2.6/ .19 to get 13.68 times.

so then i divided that by 9.8

to get 8.76 rad/s

thankyou for helping me.

1. What is angular speed of fishing line?

Angular speed of fishing line is a measure of how fast the fishing line rotates around its axis. It is usually measured in revolutions per unit time, such as revolutions per minute (RPM) or radians per second (rad/s).

2. How is angular speed of fishing line related to linear speed?

Angular speed and linear speed are related by the formula v = ωr, where v is the linear speed, ω is the angular speed, and r is the radius of the rotating object. This means that the linear speed of a point on the fishing line is directly proportional to the angular speed and the distance from the center of rotation.

3. What factors affect the angular speed of fishing line?

The angular speed of fishing line can be affected by various factors such as the length and thickness of the fishing line, the weight and shape of the bait or lure, and the force of the drag from the water. The type of reel and the speed at which it is being turned can also affect the angular speed of the fishing line.

4. How does the angular speed of fishing line affect fishing?

The angular speed of fishing line plays a crucial role in fishing as it determines how fast the bait or lure moves through the water. A higher angular speed can make the bait or lure appear more lively and attract more fish, while a lower angular speed may be more effective for certain types of fish or fishing techniques.

5. How can the angular speed of fishing line be measured?

The angular speed of fishing line can be measured using a tachometer, which is a device that measures the revolutions per minute of a rotating object. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by measuring the time it takes for a point on the fishing line to make one complete rotation and using the formula ω = 2π/T, where ω is the angular speed and T is the time taken for one revolution.