Klein Gordon equation, probability density

In summary, the conversation is about using the Klein-Gordon equation to show that \partial_{\mu}j^{\mu} = 0. The attempt at a solution involves expanding the components of j and manipulating them using the Klein-Gordon equation, but it is unclear how to handle the mass terms. The solution is to compute \partial_{\mu}j^{\mu} using the product rule and reducing parts using the Klein-Gordon equation, resulting in a cancellation and ultimately showing that the desired expression is zero.
opous
[SOLVED] Klein Gordon equation, probability density

Homework Statement

Use the Klein-Gordon Equation to show that

[tex]\partial_{\mu}j^{\mu} = 0[/tex]

Homework Equations

KG:

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}} - \nabla^{2} + m^{2}\right) \phi = (\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu} + m^{2}) \phi = 0[/tex]

j:

[tex]j^{\mu} = \frac{i}{2m} \left[\phi^{*}(\partial^{\mu} \phi) - (\partial^{\mu} \phi^{*}) \phi]\right[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, so I've expanded j out, taking the differentials and have the following for my components:

time component:

[tex]\frac{i}{2m} \left[\phi^{*} \frac{\partial^{2} \phi}{\partial t^{2}} - \phi \frac{\partial^{2} \phi^{*}}{\partial t^{2}}\right][/tex]

space components:

[tex]\frac{i}{2m} \left[- \phi^{*} \frac{\partial^{2} \phi}{\partial r^{2}} + \phi \frac{\partial^{2} \phi^{*}}{\partial r^{2}}\right][/tex]

(where I've used r = (x,y,z) )

Putting them in this form:

[tex]\frac{i \phi^{*}}{2m} \left[\frac{\partial^{2} \phi}{\partial t^{2}} - \frac{\partial^{2} \phi}{\partial r^{2}}\right] - \frac{i \phi}{2m} \left[\frac{\partial^{2} \phi^{*}}{\partial t^{2}} - \frac{\partial^{2} \phi^{*}}{\partial r^{2}}\right][/tex]

Which looks slightly more like the KG equation. However, my trouble is with the mass terms, I have no (mass)² terms to complete the KG equation and hence show the desired expression is zero. Can anyone see what I'm missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't expand out components, just compute [tex]\partial_{\mu}j^{\mu}[/tex] expanding the partial using the product rule. You can reduce parts using the Klein-Gordon equation and then they and the other parts will cancel.

1. What is the Klein Gordon equation?

The Klein Gordon equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of spinless particles, such as mesons, in quantum mechanics. It was first proposed by physicist Oskar Klein and Walter Gordon in 1926.

2. What is the significance of the Klein Gordon equation?

The Klein Gordon equation is significant because it is one of the first equations that successfully combines quantum mechanics and special relativity. It also played a crucial role in the development of quantum field theory.

3. What is the probability density in the Klein Gordon equation?

The probability density in the Klein Gordon equation represents the probability of finding a particle at a specific position in space and time. It is calculated by taking the absolute square of the wave function, which is a solution to the Klein Gordon equation.

4. How is the Klein Gordon equation related to the Schrödinger equation?

The Klein Gordon equation is a relativistic version of the Schrödinger equation. It includes a term that accounts for the particle's rest mass, which is absent in the non-relativistic Schrödinger equation. In the non-relativistic limit, the Klein Gordon equation reduces to the Schrödinger equation.

5. What are some applications of the Klein Gordon equation?

The Klein Gordon equation has been used in various areas of physics, including particle physics, quantum field theory, and cosmology. It has also found applications in condensed matter physics and in the study of solitons and other nonlinear phenomena.