Radiometric Dating: Estimating Age of Neolithic Bone Sample

• Thread starter artistatwork
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks about the age of a bone with only 1% of the amount of radioactive carbon-14 found in living things. There may be some debate about the accuracy of carbon dating, but for the purposes of this assessment, it is assumed that the bone initially had the same concentration of carbon-14 as living creatures do.
artistatwork
Hi guys, this is one of the questions on an internal assessment that i have to do. it talked about carbon-14 and how it has a half-life of 5730 yrs. "In a sample of bone discovered in a Neolithic grave, the amount of radioactive C-14 was found to be only 1% of that in living things. How old was the bone?" I really don't know where to start, I mean...how do we know how much are in living things? Doesn't it vary from one to another?
Please help me as soon as you get a chance. I'm in a bit of a hurry. Thanx!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Although it's widely accepted as accurate, there are some who argue the assumptions behind carbon dating. Regardless, you're expected to assume that the sample initially had the same concentration of carbon 14 as currently living creatures do.

1. How does radiometric dating work?

Radiometric dating is a technique used to determine the age of a sample by measuring the amount of radioactive isotopes present in the sample. These isotopes decay at a known rate, allowing scientists to calculate the age of the sample based on the amount of decay that has occurred.

2. What types of isotopes are used in radiometric dating?

The most commonly used isotopes in radiometric dating are carbon-14, potassium-40, and uranium-238. Each of these isotopes has a known decay rate and is suitable for dating different materials, such as organic matter, rocks, and minerals.

3. How accurate is radiometric dating?

Radiometric dating is a highly accurate method for estimating the age of a sample. The accuracy depends on the type of isotope used and the age of the sample. With modern techniques, radiometric dating can provide an accuracy of up to 0.1% for samples that are millions of years old.

4. Can radiometric dating be used on any type of sample?

No, radiometric dating is only suitable for certain types of materials. It is most commonly used on rocks and minerals, but can also be used on organic materials such as bone, wood, and plant remains. The material must contain radioactive isotopes that can be measured and have a known decay rate.

5. How does radiometric dating help us understand the age of Neolithic bone samples?

Radiometric dating is crucial in determining the age of Neolithic bone samples. By analyzing the amount of radioactive isotopes present in the bones, scientists can estimate the age of the sample and gain insight into the time period in which the bones were formed. This information can then be used to better understand the culture and lifestyle of the Neolithic people.