Do Arguing Couples Live Longer? Investigating a Surprising Conundrum

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the couple argues about trivial things and the wife is always wrong. The husband argues with her and gets a concussion, which has consequences for their relationship.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Do they live longer? well my folks have been together for one heck of a time but if you knew about the arguments you would wonder why, how can constant nagging make one live longer?

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
how can constant nagging make one live longer?

Because they nag each other to see a doctor when something is wrong? That's supposedly the reason married men live longer than unmarried men, because their wives make them see a doctor every so often. I don't think that married women have any better longevity than unmarried women though, IIRC. I think women do better having a pet than a husband.

Well it's like owning a dog, if you have someone that loves you then you tend to live longer.

Nah only joking it's the fact that your wife will make you eat right, not get drunk every night and so on. It's like religion: makes you live longer, well that's only because you can't do all the things you want to do, but life isn't about quality it's about quantity.

Of course I'm being flippant and generalising. :smile: There's only one way of life and that's your own. And to be frank, there are more ways to swing a cat.

Maybe it just seems longer...:wink:

But seriously, I can completely understand why having a companion makes one happier, and therefore healthier. Even if a couple always squable at each other, at least there's someone there.

Moonbear said:
Because they nag each other to see a doctor when something is wrong? That's supposedly the reason married men live longer than unmarried men, because their wives make them see a doctor every so often. I don't think that married women have any better longevity than unmarried women though, IIRC. I think women do better having a pet than a husband.

Well is it your self that will live a thousand years?
Lol

Moonbear said:
Married men do live longer than single men, but single women live longer than married women - statistically that is.

It really depends on the quality of the marriage which depends on the quality of BOTH partners in a marriage.

The best example of a marital relationship that I've seen is that of my parents. They are still in love and inseparable after 51+ years. My parents have mutual interests, as well as their own individual interests, and they support each other.

Astronuc said:
Married men do live longer than single men, but single women live longer than married women - statistically that is.

It really depends on the quality of the marriage which depends on the quality of BOTH partners in a marriage.

The best example of a marital relationship that I've seen is that of my parents. They are still in love and inseparable after 51+ years. My parents have mutual interests, as well as their own individual interests, and they support each other.

Okay, i will love you and leave you, but that is not fair as i will go first, sod it women allways have first dibs.

Astronuc said:

Dammit, looks like I need to buy me a wife now. :grumpy:

Poop-Loops said:
Dammit, looks like I need to buy me a wife now. :grumpy:

Sorry PL but no woman would want you now, you are doomed to die young.

Astronuc said:

That's a great argument for gay marriage! Let all the men get married (to each other) so they can live longer, and leave us women out of it...we'll get cats...they're easier to train. :biggrin:

Last week, my wife and I were discussing the fact that when she made dinner that evening, she burnt the water. As so often happens during our pleasant little tete-a-tetes, I received a mild concussion. This would not have occurred if I had averted her love pat earlier, but my back was in a brace as a result of an earlier conversation involving my opinion of her driving. I should point out that ours is a mixed marriage. I devoutly drive on the right hand side of the road, but she wavers in her devotion to my faith. When I said 'I told you so' after a fender-bender, she put a dent in my itinerary. Last night when she came to visit me in the hospital, I cornered her with this question. Cornering my wife is not always the wisest course of action. Now I've got a contusion on my big toe that reaches up to my cranium. She said the reason married people live longer is one of the great mysteries of life.

Last edited:
Hit her for a change, see how she likes it.

Oh no, wait, that's illegal.

Poop-Loops said:
Hit her for a change, see how she likes it.
I tried that. It turns out that she doesn't like it in the least. But I've learned my lesson. The next time I decide to strike her, I'll mail it in.

You might have to hire a bodyguard.

A man feared his wife wasn't hearing as well as she used to and he thought she might need a hearing aid. Not quite sure how to approach her, he called the family Doctor to discuss the problem. The Doctor told him there is a simple informal test the husband could perform to give the Doctor a better idea about her hearing loss.

Here's what you do," said the Doctor, "stand about 40 feet away from her, and in a normal conversational speaking tone see if she hears you.

If not, go to 30 feet, then 20 feet, and s o on until you get a response."

That evening, the wife is in the kitchen cooking dinner, and he was in the den. He says to himself, "I'm about 40 feet away, let's see what happens."

Then in! A normal tone he asks, 'Honey, what's for dinner?"

No response.

So the husband moves to closer to the kitchen, about 30 feet from his wife and repeats, "Honey, what's for dinner?"

Still no response.

Next he moves into the dining room where he is about 20 feet from his wife and asks, Honey, what's for dinner?"

Again he gets no response;

So he walks up to the kitchen door, about 10 feet away. "Honey, what's for dinner?"

Again there is no response.

So he walks right up behind her. "Honey, what's for dinner?”

"James, for the FIFTH time I've said, CHICKEN!"

Likes ProfuselyQuarky

What is the premise of the study?

The study aims to investigate the relationship between arguing couples and their life expectancy, as previous research has suggested that frequent arguing can have negative effects on health.

What were the findings of the study?

The study found that couples who engage in frequent arguing actually tend to live longer than couples who avoid conflict. This contradicts previous beliefs and raises questions about the impact of communication and stress on health.

What factors were considered in the study?

The study considered various factors such as age, gender, socioeconomic status, and overall health of the couples. It also took into account the frequency and intensity of arguments, as well as the types of issues that were being argued about.

What could be the possible reasons for these findings?

One possible explanation for these findings could be that engaging in conflict can lead to better communication and problem-solving skills, which can lead to healthier relationships and ultimately, longer lives. It could also be that couples who argue frequently are more passionate and emotionally invested in their relationship, which can have positive effects on overall well-being.

What are the implications of this study?

The implications of this study are significant, as it challenges previous beliefs about the negative effects of arguing on health. It also highlights the importance of effective communication and conflict resolution in relationships. Further research is needed to better understand the relationship between arguing and health, and how it can impact different individuals and relationships.