Did your parents pressure you to pursue a certain career?

In summary: I've been in a similar situation with my parents as well. They are supportive of my career choice (after initially being opposed), but still want me to go into a more traditional career path.
Snazzy said:
I used to live in Scotland before moving to Vancouver in 2007. My mum used to tell me, 'You have to become a doctor, you want to become a doctor, don't you?' and I didn't want to break her heart and I told her that I didn't know what I wanted to be. I still don't have that drive to become a doctor. My brother is in dentistry in Australia. Luckily for him, he loves dentistry. As for me, I still haven't a clue what I want to be, and I have to pick my major for second year in a few months time. I used to be passionate about astronomy, but the maths and physics has turned me away from it. I prefer to work hands on rather than with a pen, paper, and calculator.
Consider then astrophysics or applied physics or EE so that one can build/operate instruments for observing/studying the universe.

Any science and engineering (applied science) will involve math and physics, otherwise one is just a technician, not that that is bad. I prefer to mix the theory (math and physics) with application (hands on/tinkering).

Physics news on Phys.org
Danger said:
A lot of surgeons, like a lot of fighter pilots, are that way. I think that it's almost essential to those professions, since any sort of affinity for other humans can be counter-productive. A surgeon can't afford to get invested in the patient as an individual because it could cloud his/her judgement, and leave him/her dwelling upon one patient's well-being while treating another. A fighter pilot can't afford to think of the opposing pilot as a person, or he might hesitate before firing.
That's not to say that either type of person is uncaring in general; it's just that a clinical approach is necessary in their professions.
Regardless of your brother's personality, if he really wants to be a surgeon and is skilled at it, he will probably be a really good one and will benefit society by his presence in the field of medicine.

I don't entirely agree. Surgeon's can be pretty arrogant, but they still have to care for the patients, or at least appear that they care. Afterall, that is the one aspect of medicine where a patient has to trust the doctor more than any other...the surgeon is going to cut you open and fix you while you're unconscious and can't intervene if you think something isn't being done right (um...you were supposed to amputate the other leg doc). A surgeon of course needs to sound very confident to reassure the patient they know what they are doing, but if they come across as mean or rude or unapproachable, a patient might just as well run off and refuse to have a life-saving procedure done for fear the surgeon will just make them worse or kill them on the table.

Our lab tech just went through an experience like this. He needed surgery, and kept putting it off and putting it off and putting it off...he just didn't like the surgeon he first talked to and was too uneasy about the procedure and preferred to keep living with the pain and discomfort rather than get the surgery done by someone he didn't trust. The rest of us in the lab kept trying to reassure him and tell him not to put it off, to go get better, etc. FINALLY, he scheduled an appointment with a different surgeon, and a week later was getting the surgery. At first, he said he was nervous because she was so young (to him anyway) and didn't know if she was experienced enough, but she sat and talked to him about his concerns and the procedures she'd done, and he found out she trained with another surgeon who had done an earlier procedure for him that he was completely happy about the outcome, and all this reassured him...he said at the end of the consultation, he trusted her completely and was ready to finally get the surgery done.

Thanks for the replies. Makes me feel better knowing I'm not alone in this situation :)

Geez. You guys that have parents that want you to go to college for ANYTHING are lucky.

And the ones that their parents will pay for college...geez...how can you complain at all.

So you guys are telling me that no one in here had parents that told them (and continue to tell them) that school is a HUGE waste of money and urged them to not go?

I ENVY ALL OF YOU GUYS!

No, not really.

My dad would cream his pants if I told him I were to not do physics and do engineering instead. He did physics (3 years, eng was 5 - he also started college at 22 and had to do a foundation year...) because it was a shorter course and thought of it to be more of a challenge. He ended up regretting that decision a lot *after* his studies because he always had a hard time finding employment. I think his situation would've been different if he was a bit more free to do what he wanted to and not what he *had* to do.

My mother would also love me to get involved in some kind of health care; medicine, veterinary or otherwise. Even optometry. I was not entirely against the idea when I was younger but as I grew older, I learned more about myself (or I just changed!) and recently, I managed to convince them that I wasn't the kind of person who'd be a good doctor. A good problem solver, maybe but doctor? Hell no. (hint: username)

Bottom line: Nope, I'm not being pressured. I am only expected to finish college, be able to take care of myself and only then, take care of them. At least, that's how they seem to think of it. They have never actually *demanded* directly that I do this, this and that. My dad would prefer me doing maths over physics because he thinks it would make life easier post-university. (again, his own bad experiences)

Personally, I'm not very picky. As long as the subject(s) keeps me interested and gets me $$, I have nothing to complain about.

SpaceDomain said:
Geez. You guys that have parents that want you to go to college for ANYTHING are lucky.

And the ones that their parents will pay for college...geez...how can you complain at all.

So you guys are telling me that no one in here had parents that told them (and continue to tell them) that school is a HUGE waste of money and urged them to not go?

I ENVY ALL OF YOU GUYS!

My brother is not very partial to the idea of me staying in school too long. He didn't and it worked out brilliantly for him. If he had it his way, he wouldn't have gone to college at all. (from what I know...)

If this necropost were any older, we should have changed "parents" to "grandparents" in the title.

You should pressure them and ask why thye aren't doctors and rich lawyers so that they don't have to pressure their own child to fulfil their dreams.

<h2>1. Did your parents pressure you to pursue a certain career?</h2><p>This is a common question that many people ask when learning about someone's career path. The answer to this question varies from person to person. Some individuals may have experienced pressure from their parents to pursue a specific career, while others may have had more freedom to choose their own path.</p><h2>2. How did your parents influence your career choice?</h2><p>Similar to the first question, the influence of parents on one's career choice can vary. In some cases, parents may have directly encouraged their child to pursue a certain career, while in others, their actions and values may have indirectly influenced their child's decision.</p><h2>3. Do you regret following your parents' career advice?</h2><p>This question reflects the common concern of whether or not following parental advice was the right decision. Again, the answer to this question will vary depending on the individual's experience. Some may have followed their parents' advice and are happy with their career choice, while others may have regrets.</p><h2>4. Did your parents' expectations for your career match your own?</h2><p>This question delves into the potential disconnect between parents' expectations and the individual's own desires. In some cases, parents may have had different expectations for their child's career, leading to conflict or disappointment. However, in other cases, parents and their child may have shared similar career aspirations.</p><h2>5. How did you handle any conflicts with your parents regarding your career choice?</h2><p>This question addresses the potential challenges that may arise when parents and their child have differing opinions about a career path. Some individuals may have had open and honest conversations with their parents to come to a resolution, while others may have had to navigate these conflicts on their own.</p>

1. Did your parents pressure you to pursue a certain career?

This is a common question that many people ask when learning about someone's career path. The answer to this question varies from person to person. Some individuals may have experienced pressure from their parents to pursue a specific career, while others may have had more freedom to choose their own path.

2. How did your parents influence your career choice?

Similar to the first question, the influence of parents on one's career choice can vary. In some cases, parents may have directly encouraged their child to pursue a certain career, while in others, their actions and values may have indirectly influenced their child's decision.

3. Do you regret following your parents' career advice?

This question reflects the common concern of whether or not following parental advice was the right decision. Again, the answer to this question will vary depending on the individual's experience. Some may have followed their parents' advice and are happy with their career choice, while others may have regrets.

4. Did your parents' expectations for your career match your own?

This question delves into the potential disconnect between parents' expectations and the individual's own desires. In some cases, parents may have had different expectations for their child's career, leading to conflict or disappointment. However, in other cases, parents and their child may have shared similar career aspirations.

5. How did you handle any conflicts with your parents regarding your career choice?

This question addresses the potential challenges that may arise when parents and their child have differing opinions about a career path. Some individuals may have had open and honest conversations with their parents to come to a resolution, while others may have had to navigate these conflicts on their own.