Partial derivative chain rule

In summary, a function is called homogeneous of degree n if it satisfied the equation f(tx,ty) =t^(n) f(x,y), for all t, where n is a positive integer and f has continuous 2nd order partial derivatives. If f is homogeneous of degree n, it is stated that df/dx (tx,ty) = t^(n-1) df/dx(x,y) using df/dx for partial derivatives. However, this may not be true for all cases, as demonstrated with the example of f(x,y) = xy^3 + x^2y^2.
anatta

Homework Statement

A function is called homogeneous of degree n if it satisfied the equation f(tx,ty) =t^(n) f(x,y), for all t, where n is a positive integer and f has continuous 2nd order partial derivatives.

If f is homogeneous of degree n, show that df/dx (tx,ty) = t^(n-1) df/dx(x,y)

*Using df/dx for partial derviatives.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I've taken the partial derivatives of each side of the definition of homogeneous equation above, applying the chain rule (that's what section the problem is in). What I get is:

d/d(tx) (tx,ty) * t = t^n d/dx(x,y)

which simplifies to df/d(tx) (tx,ty) = t^(n-1) df/dx(x,y).

It feels like I'm done, but I can't figure out-conceptually or otherwise- why the partial derivative with respect to (tx) of f(tx,ty) is the same as the partial derivative with respect to x of f(tx,ty).

Thanks in advance for help!

Physics news on Phys.org
anatta said:

Homework Statement

A function is called homogeneous of degree n if it satisfied the equation f(tx,ty) =t^(n) f(x,y), for all t, where n is a positive integer and f has continuous 2nd order partial derivatives.

*Using df/dx for partial derviatives.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I've taken the partial derivatives of each side of the definition of homogeneous equation above, applying the chain rule (that's what section the problem is in). What I get is:

d/d(tx) (tx,ty) * t = t^n d/dx(x,y)

which simplifies to df/d(tx) (tx,ty) = t^(n-1) df/dx(x,y).

It feels like I'm done, but I can't figure out-conceptually or otherwise- why the partial derivative with respect to (tx) of f(tx,ty) is the same as the partial derivative with respect to x of f(tx,ty).
It's not! [itex]\partial f(tx,ty)/\partial (tx)[/itex] is the same as [itex]\partial f(u,ty)/\partial u[/itex] for any variable u. [itex]\partial f(tx,ty)/\partial x= \partial f(xt,ty)/\partial (xt) \partial f(tx)\partial x[/itex].

In other words [itex]\partial f(tx,ty)/\partial x[/itex] is t times [itex]\partial f(tx,ty)/\partial (tx)[/itex].

Thanks in advance for help!

Yes, that's what I got when I applied the chain rule, although maybe my notation was confusing.

d(tx,ty)/d(tx) times t = t^n d(x,y)/dx
(the right side of the equation is the partial derivative with wrt x of the function given in the original definition)

once you divide by t you get

d(tx,ty)/d(tx) =t^(n-1) d(x,y)/dx

What I don't get is how to deal with the partial derivative w.r.t. (tx). The left side of the equation needs to be d(tx,ty) w.r.t to x for the requested proof.

anatta said:
Is this even true? Try it out for the case [tex]f(x,y) \ = \ xy^3 + x^2 y^2.[/tex]

Did you mean to say [tex]t^n \frac{\partial}{\partial x} f(x,y)[/tex] on the RHS instead? I assume t is an arbitrary constant.

You're right, it doesn't seem to work for the case you give. That is definitely how the problem is stated, though. It's from Stewart Calculus, 5ed, 14.6, #55. I guess it could be a typo...?

1. What is the Partial Derivative Chain Rule?

The Partial Derivative Chain Rule is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a function with multiple variables. It allows us to take the derivative of a composite function with respect to one of its variables by breaking it down into simpler functions and calculating the derivative of each one separately.

2. When is the Partial Derivative Chain Rule used?

The Partial Derivative Chain Rule is used in multivariable calculus to find the rate of change of a function with respect to a specific variable in a system of multiple variables. It is also used in physics, engineering, and other fields to analyze the relationships between different variables in complex systems.

3. How is the Partial Derivative Chain Rule calculated?

The Partial Derivative Chain Rule is calculated by taking the derivative of the outer function with respect to the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function with respect to the variable of interest. This can also be written in Leibniz notation as d(u(v))/dx = (du/dv)(dv/dx), where u(v) is the outer function and v is the inner function.

4. What are some common mistakes when using the Partial Derivative Chain Rule?

Some common mistakes when using the Partial Derivative Chain Rule include forgetting to apply the chain rule when taking the derivative of the inner function, mixing up the order of variables, and not simplifying the final expression. It is important to carefully follow the steps and clearly label each variable to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can the Partial Derivative Chain Rule be extended to higher order derivatives?

Yes, the Partial Derivative Chain Rule can be extended to higher order derivatives, known as the Generalized Chain Rule. This rule allows us to calculate the second, third, and higher order partial derivatives of a composite function with respect to multiple variables. It is an essential tool in multivariable calculus and is used to solve complex problems in various fields of science and engineering.