Cord blood banking industry flourishes

In summary, many people are upset with the aggressive marketing around storing cord blood. There are concerns about companies exploiting parents' paranoia and the lack of regulation of the industry.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I didn't realize an industry was being so aggresively developed around this.

But many say companies are exploiting parents' paranoia

NEW YORK - When Marla Dalton was expecting, she read the pregnancy magazines, picked up pamphlets at her doctor’s office and logged on to mom-centric Web sites and chat rooms. In the process, she was inundated by marketing imploring her to privately store her twins’ umbilical cord blood.

Was this really a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to capture blood rich with stem cells that could potentially save the twins or a family member from serious diseases and conditions, she wondered. Was it was worth the collection and processing fees, many ranging from $1,000 to $1,740 per child? Plus a likely $95 annual storage fee.

“It was really stressful. The marketing makes you feel guilty,” the 41-year old engineer said. “There is this feeling that if you don’t do it, you are not doing something to save your child’s life.”

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4702857/

Biology news on Phys.org
Well, it will all be useless if the US Gov't doesn't allow scientists to proceed with human stem cell research! Friends of mine stored their baby's cord blood. I don't know what they paid, but they said it wasn't much and viewed it the way one views insurance...you hope you never need it, but wouldn't want to kick yourself later if you did need it and didn't save it. I look at it as one of the least controversial areas of stem-cell usage. If someone finds a way to develop therapies from cord blood stem cells, then who can really argue with using one's own umbilical cord as a source of treatment?

Moonbear said:
Well, it will all be useless if the US Gov't doesn't allow scientists to proceed with human stem cell research! Friends of mine stored their baby's cord blood. I don't know what they paid, but they said it wasn't much and viewed it the way one views insurance...you hope you never need it, but wouldn't want to kick yourself later if you did need it and didn't save it. I look at it as one of the least controversial areas of stem-cell usage. If someone finds a way to develop therapies from cord blood stem cells, then who can really argue with using one's own umbilical cord as a source of treatment?
I'm 100% for stem cell research. Are there any controls in place to assure someone that the cord blood is being properly stored and handled? It looks like some not so reliable companies may be trying to get rich quick off of this.

It appears that you can also donate cord blood to a public bank. I can't imagine anyone not willing to do this if they do not plan to store it themselves.

I recall there also being a use for otherwise discarded foreskins after circumcision on baby boys. First they're spat out, spanked, branded with a belly button, then soon sliced within an inch of their future manhood!

Evo, I had some of the same questions. What's to say these companies don't just go out of business and defrost their freezers? But I can be pretty cynical at times. I'm sure there are some like that, so it's probably about asking questions, finding out how the store and identify the blood, where is it kept, what sort of back-up systems do they have in case of power failures, etc. I think if you ask enough questions, then it gets harder for them to make up all the answers if it's just a scam.

While I personally can't see anything wrong with donating to a public bank, I can see why people would hesitate on that...not for justified reasons, but because they don't understand enough about the science and succumb to the scare tactics of those opposed to stem cell research. They probably worry that someone will be making clones of their baby in a lab somewhere. Too many sci fi movies on this sort of stuff, and people seem to believe Hollywood more than the scientists. But, I agree, if you're just going to throw it out and it has the potential to be used to save someone's life someday, why not donate it? Seems like a no-brainer, doesn't it?

This thread is beginning to sound like the argument over cryogenics - in the attempt to preserve our lives, what happens when the company "goes under?"

At least this is something real. Who knows if freezing yourself in the hopes of being resuscitated one day will ever happen.

Even if resuscitation of a "truly" deceased person ever becomes reality, perhaps the way bodies today are being prepared would make it impossible to benefit from the new technology. I think it's a waste of people's money.

Cord blood is something we currently have the technology to use. So selecting a responsible company is an issue.

You're right on the practicality of stem cells (at least from benign sources), Evo. Meanwhile let's encourage ourselves and others to become organ donors.

(How about "older than stardust?")

Loren Booda said:
You're right on the practicality of stem cells (at least from benign sources), Evo. Meanwhile let's encourage ourselves and others to become organ donors.
I am an organ donor, I figure it will be the last good deed I will ever do. :smile:

You know, people that think they will never leave a legacy, never contibrute anything, should consider being a donor. After all, you're not going to need it anymore. I'd rather think that I could in some small way help someone else out than just rot in the ground.

Loren Booda said:
(How about "older than stardust?")
Only you could make being MUCH older than dirt sound nice. :biggrin:

I wonder if anyone notices the utter irony of this practice. If the cord blood is so rich in beneficial substances, why do modern medical childbirth practices make sure that newborn babies are deprived of a good portion of it? When babies are first born, their umbilical cords are clamped and then cut almost immediately, while they are still pulsating, thereby depriving the babies of a good amount of the rich cord blood.

drianne said:
I wonder if anyone notices the utter irony of this practice. If the cord blood is so rich in beneficial substances, why do modern medical childbirth practices make sure that newborn babies are deprived of a good portion of it? When babies are first born, their umbilical cords are clamped and then cut almost immediately, while they are still pulsating, thereby depriving the babies of a good amount of the rich cord blood.

Welcome to PF drianne. You may not have realized but this thread is 7 years old, the dates are given next to the posts. Posting on really old threads is discouraged here.

To answer your question http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbilical_cord#Storage_of_cord_blood".

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ryan for your response! Yes, I actually don't notice that this thread was a bit old now, sorry for that. :confused:

Anyway, As we all know, the demand for cord blood transplants has risen in recent years. Cord blood transplants have been proven to extend the lives of people who are afflicted with certain diseases, even going as far as completely curing them. But how does the process of cord blood transplant work? How much do cord blood transplant costs these days?

Last edited by a moderator:

Question 1: What is cord blood banking?

Cord blood banking is the process of collecting and storing the blood from the umbilical cord of a newborn baby. This blood contains valuable stem cells that can be used in medical treatments for various diseases and conditions.

Question 2: How does the cord blood banking industry operate?

The cord blood banking industry operates by collecting and storing cord blood samples from newborn babies and maintaining them in specialized facilities. The samples are then made available for medical treatments when needed, either for the donor or for a matched recipient.

Question 3: Why has the cord blood banking industry flourished in recent years?

The cord blood banking industry has experienced growth in recent years due to the increasing awareness of the potential medical benefits of using cord blood stem cells. Additionally, advancements in technology have made the process more efficient and cost-effective, making it more accessible to families.

Question 4: What are the potential uses of cord blood stem cells?

Cord blood stem cells have the potential to treat a wide range of diseases and conditions, including blood disorders, immune system disorders, and certain types of cancer. They can also be used in regenerative medicine to repair damaged tissues and organs.

Question 5: Is cord blood banking regulated and safe?

Yes, cord blood banking is regulated by government agencies and organizations to ensure safety and quality standards are met. The American Association of Blood Banks (AABB) and the Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT) are two of the main regulatory bodies for cord blood banking. Additionally, the process of collecting cord blood is non-invasive and poses no risk to the mother or baby.

Back