Cubic Lattice Atom Diameter Calculation

In summary, the density of barium metal is 3.50gcm^-3 and its atomic radius is 219.5pm. To find the cell diagonal length, the general approach is to find a plane that goes through atoms centers and use known distances to find unknown ones. This usually involves triangles and rectangles or parallelograms.
Bob Ho

Homework Statement

Barium metal crystallizes in a body-centred cubic lattice. The density of the metal is 3.50gcm^-3. Calculate the radius(in pm) of a barium atom.

M(Ba)=137.3g/mol , NA = 6.022x10^23/mol

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1 unit cell: m=2x137.3/6.022x10^23
=4.56x10^-22g

V=m/p
=4.56x10^-22/3.5
=1.303x10^8pm^3

Cell side length a=v^(1/3)=506.9pm

From here I am confused, the answer is that the cell diagonal length =4r=√3a
Atomic radius r=√3/4a=219.5pm

Can anyone please explain to me how the cell diagonal length varies with different structures, or anything that can help me, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a (relatively) simple geometry. General approach is to find a plane that goes through atoms centers, draw the atoms and see what is known. You will usually end with some mix of triangles and rectagles or parallelograms where you know some of the distances and you have to find others.

I would first commend the student for their attempt at solving the problem and for seeking clarification on the concept. I would then explain that the cell diagonal length in a body-centered cubic (BCC) lattice is equal to the face diagonal length of the cube, which is √3 times the length of the side of the cube. This is because in a BCC lattice, the atoms are located at the corners and the center of the cube, resulting in a diagonal arrangement. In other lattice structures, such as face-centered cubic (FCC) or simple cubic (SC), the atoms are arranged differently and therefore the cell diagonal length would be different. It is important to understand the differences between lattice structures and how they affect the arrangement and spacing of atoms. I would also recommend practicing more problems and consulting with a teacher or tutor for further clarification.

1. What is a cubic lattice?

A cubic lattice is a three-dimensional arrangement of atoms or molecules in a regular, repeating pattern. It is one of the simplest and most commonly studied types of crystal structures.

2. How is the atom diameter calculated in a cubic lattice?

The atom diameter in a cubic lattice is calculated by dividing the length of one side of the unit cell by the number of atoms present on that side. This gives the average distance between neighboring atoms, which can be used as the diameter of the atoms.

3. What is the unit cell in a cubic lattice?

The unit cell is the smallest repeating unit of a cubic lattice. It is a parallelepiped with three pairs of parallel faces and has the same symmetry as the entire lattice.

4. What factors affect the atom diameter in a cubic lattice?

The atom diameter in a cubic lattice is affected by the size and shape of the unit cell, as well as the type of atoms present. Additionally, temperature and pressure can also influence the atom diameter.

5. How is the cubic lattice used in materials science and engineering?

The cubic lattice is used in materials science and engineering to understand the structure and behavior of various materials. It is also used to design and engineer new materials with specific properties, such as strength, conductivity, and magnetism.