Force Due to Magnetic Field on a Charge Carrying Wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an equation to find the force of a magnetic field on a wire with a current. One of the questions asks for the force on a specific section of the wire, and integration is used to solve the problem due to the non-uniformity of the magnetic field. This is necessary when the magnetic field is not constant.
wk1989
Hi, I have a bit of a problem understanding one of the solutions for my assignment.

Homework Statement

Normally we use the equation
F = iL X B
to find the force of a magnetic field on a wire with a current.

One of the questions asks to find the force on a section of wire between x=3 and x= 1, the wire's current is in the the negative x direction. The magnetic field is something like B=3i+8.0x^2

They used integration to solve the problem, integrating the change of force from 1 to 3. I'm wondering why this is used? Is it because the magnetic field is not uniform (it's in terms of x)? If the magnetic field is uniform, could we just have done F = iL x B with 2 being the L?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the magnetic field supposed to be B = 3i + 8.0x^2j?

If that's the case, then, yes, the field is not uniform over the section x = 3 to x = 1, so an integration is necessary over the length of the wire.

You can only use [tex]\vec{F} = I (\vec{L} \times \vec{B})[/tex] when the magnetic field is constant. Since here, your magnetic field is different over a particular area, you have to use integration.

1. What is the force on a charge carrying wire in a magnetic field?

The force on a charge carrying wire in a magnetic field is known as the Lorentz force. It is given by the equation F = qv x B, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field strength. This force is perpendicular to both the velocity of the particle and the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the force on a charge carrying wire?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the force on a charge carrying wire. As the magnetic field strength increases, the force on the wire also increases. This is because a stronger magnetic field will exert a greater force on the charged particle, causing it to experience a larger force in the direction perpendicular to its velocity and the magnetic field.

3. What is the direction of the force on a charge carrying wire in a magnetic field?

The direction of the force on a charge carrying wire in a magnetic field is always perpendicular to both the velocity of the particle and the direction of the magnetic field. This means that the force will either be inwards or outwards, depending on the relative orientations of the magnetic field and the velocity of the particle.

4. How does the velocity of the particle affect the force on a charge carrying wire in a magnetic field?

The velocity of the particle plays a crucial role in determining the magnitude and direction of the force on a charge carrying wire in a magnetic field. The force is directly proportional to the velocity of the particle, so a higher velocity will result in a stronger force. Additionally, the direction of the force is determined by the cross product between the velocity and the magnetic field, so changing the velocity will also change the direction of the force.

5. Can the force on a charge carrying wire in a magnetic field be zero?

Yes, the force on a charge carrying wire in a magnetic field can be zero. This occurs when the velocity of the particle is parallel to the magnetic field, resulting in a cross product of zero. In this case, the particle will experience no force and will continue to move in a straight line at a constant velocity.