Calculating Distance for Throwing an Egg from a Building

• Thread starter veronicak5678
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, the person should be 6.25 m from the building when the egg is thrown downward at 2.0 m/s from a height of 10.0 m above their head. Using the equation v final = v initial + at, the time it takes for the egg to reach the person is 1.23 seconds, with a positive acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2. It is important to consider the direction of motion when determining the sign of acceleration.
veronicak5678

Homework Statement

You plan on throwing an egg at someone from the roof. You throw the egg downward at 2.0 m/s from a height of 10.0 m above the person's head. The person walks toward the building at 1.25 m/s. How far from the building should the person be when you throw it?

Homework Equations

V= delta x/ delta t

The Attempt at a Solution

delta t = 5 seconds

delta x =(1.25 m/s)(5 seconds)

They should be 6.25 m from the building.

Could someone please doublecheck this for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the 2.0 m/s is an initial velocity, the egg would be accelerating downward and the time it takes to traverse the 10m distance would be much less than 5 seconds.

Thanks for the reply. I tried re-evaluating this using v final squared = v initial squared +2at
and v final = v initial + at

and came up with a time of 1.23 s.

Is this correct? I'm not sure if I should use -9.8 or 9.8 for the acceleration of gravity.

Since the egg is traveling in the same direction the gravitational force is acting, the acceleration will be a positive value for this case. Just be careful for future problems as direction is a key factor for the sign of the acceleration value. A way to think of it is the egg is being thrown downward therefore the acceleration will increase the velocity, so the equation should match this property. I believe you have come up with the correct time.

Gotcha. Thanks so much for your help.

What is downward acceleration?

Downward acceleration is the rate at which an object speeds up as it falls towards the ground due to the force of gravity.

What causes downward acceleration?

The force of gravity, which is the attraction between two objects due to their masses, is what causes downward acceleration.

How is downward acceleration measured?

Downward acceleration is typically measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s²) using tools such as accelerometers or motion sensors.

How does downward acceleration affect objects?

Downward acceleration causes objects to fall towards the ground at an increasing speed, as long as there is no other force acting on the object to counteract the force of gravity.

What is the difference between downward acceleration and free fall?

Downward acceleration is the rate at which an object speeds up as it falls towards the ground, while free fall is the motion of an object falling under the sole influence of gravity, with no other forces acting on it.