Need help calculating the pressure in the bottle

• Thread starter mhn745
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the problem involves finding the pressure inside a metal bottle containing air and injected liquid helium, and allowing the system to warm to room temperature. Using the ideal gas equation, the pressure of air and helium can be calculated separately and then added to find the total pressure inside the bottle. However, to find the number of moles of each gas, two different methods must be used. The final answer should be 42 atm.
mhn745
Liquid helium at 4.2 K has a density of 0.147 g/mL. Suppose that a 2.50-L metal bottle that contains air at 105K and 2.0 atm pressure is sealed off. If we inject 100.0 mL of liquid helium and allow the entire system to warm to room temperature (25 °C), what is the pressure inside the bottle?

This is what I have so far
For air alone-
P/T = P1/T1
2.0 / 105 = P1 / 298
P1 = 5.676 atm

For He alone-
100.0 mL x 0.147 g/mL = 1.47 g
1.47 g/ 4.00 g/mol = .3675 mol
P=nRT/V=.3675x0.08206x298/2.50=3.595 atm

Ptotal = 3.595 + 5.7 = 9.296 atm

But apparently the answers wrong. Can someone please help?

Addtional Hints:

At the end of the problem, the bottle contains both helium and air, and we want the total pressure. You know V (same as the initial V of the metal bottle) and T, so if you knew n you could solve for P. Find the number of moles of air and of helium separately, then add them to get the total number of moles of gas in the bottle. I will add that you need to use two pretty different ways to find the moles of the two gases.

does anyone know how to solve for the mole (n) in pv=nrt for this equation...maybe if I find the number of moles individually for both then I can solve...

Physics news on Phys.org
> "100.0 mL x 0.147 g/mL = 1.47 g"

Try that one again.

okay i realized that and fixed it but i still get the wrong answer...i used 14.7 g this time

Huh, I'm not sure what else is wrong. But I didn't check the rest of it, did you use consistent units for the ideal gas equation?

yes I used k for temperature and the right constant value

mhn745 said:
Liquid helium at 4.2 K has a density of 0.147 g/mL. Suppose that a 2.50-L metal bottle that contains air at 105K and 2.0 atm pressure is sealed off. If we inject 100.0 mL of liquid helium and allow the entire system to warm to room temperature (25 °C), what is the pressure inside the bottle?

For air alone-
P/T = P1/T1
2.0 / 105 = P1 / 298
P1 = 5.676 atm

For He alone-

Addtional Hints:

At the end of the problem, the bottle contains both helium and air, and we want the total pressure. You know V (same as the initial V of the metal bottle) and T, so if you knew n you could solve for P. Find the number of moles of air and of helium separately, then add them to get the total number of moles of gas in the bottle. I will add that you need to use two pretty different ways to find the moles of the two gases.

does anyone know how to solve for the mole (n) in pv=nrt for this equation...maybe if I find the number of moles individually for both then I can solve...

Check your MW for Helium gas.

mhn745 said:
okay i realized that and fixed it but i still get the wrong answer...i used 14.7 g this time

What was your final result?

How many significant digits have you entered?

4.00 is a correct MW for helium.

mhn745 said:

For air alone-
P/T = P1/T1
2.0 / 105 = P1 / 298
P1 = 5.676 atm

For He alone-

Addtional Hints:

Is the answer 42 atm?

1. How do you calculate the pressure in a bottle?

The pressure in a bottle can be calculated using the formula P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is the area of the bottle's opening. The force can be determined by measuring the weight of the liquid or gas inside the bottle and the area can be measured using the bottle's dimensions.

2. Is there a difference in pressure between a full and empty bottle?

Yes, there is a difference in pressure between a full and empty bottle. This is because the weight of the liquid or gas inside the bottle adds to the force exerted on the area of the bottle's opening, resulting in a higher pressure.

3. How does temperature affect the pressure in a bottle?

According to the Ideal Gas Law, pressure is directly proportional to temperature. This means that as temperature increases, so does the pressure in the bottle. This is due to the increase in kinetic energy of the molecules, leading to more collisions and higher pressure.

4. Can you calculate the pressure in a bottle without knowing the volume?

No, the volume of the bottle is a crucial factor in calculating pressure. The formula for pressure (P = F/A) requires the area of the bottle's opening, which is dependent on the volume of the bottle. Without knowing the volume, it is not possible to accurately calculate the pressure.

5. Why is it important to know the pressure in a bottle?

Knowing the pressure in a bottle is important for various reasons. For example, it can help determine the stability of the container and its ability to withstand external forces. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of gases and liquids and their interaction with their surroundings.