Transformers and induced current

In summary, a step-up transformer increases the voltage from 230V to 5000V. To calculate the ratio of primary turns to secondary turns, use the formula input voltage/output voltage = primary turns/secondary turns. The current in the primary can be found using the formula input voltage x input current = output voltage x output current. For the diagram of the solder gun, the number of turns in the primary coil can be calculated using the voltage equation and the current in the secondary winding can be found using the current equation. The secondary winding is made from thick aluminum rod to handle the high currents, and the nib of the solder gun is thinner to prevent overheating.
_Mayday_
Hello.

3) A step up transformer increases the mains voltage of 230V to 5000V.

a) calculate the ratio Number of primary turns/Number of secondary Turns

I know the formula input voltage/output voltage = Primary turn/ Secondary Turns

So i did 230/5000 = 0.046. This as a fraction is 23/500. Is this correct?

b)Calculate the current in the primary when the secondary current is 0.5A.

I really am clueless here. I know of a formula Input voltage x input current = output voltage x output current. Is this the correct one to use

4) The diagram shows a solder gun. It is a step down transformer with a single turn winding. When the voltage across the primary coil is 240V, the primary current is 0.6A and the induced voltage in the secondary coil is 2.0V

a) Calculate the number of turns of wire in on the primary coil.

I don't know which formula to use here.

b) Calculate the current in the secondary winding.

This would have something to do with part a so if i find out which formula to use i should be able to do this.

c) Why is the secondary winding made from thick aluminium rod.

Is this to do with resistance?

d) Why is the nib of the solder gun thiner than the rest of the winding.

Is this also to do with resistance

Thanks for any help. I've tried my best to have a go. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first answer is correct. To answer the second, you need to know that
I_sec = I_pri / R
where R is the ratio of secondary to primary turns (reciprocal of the ratio you found).

You could have found this from the two equations you listed!

4a) Use the equation you know for the voltages.
b) you have this equation, too.

Try these and get back to us if you need more help.

3b) input current x input voltage = output voltage x output current

240V x input current = 5000 x 0.5

input current = 10.42A

is this correct?

4a) i got 120 primary turns

b) I used the formula from 3b) and i got 72 in the end.

I would like some clarification here.

thanks a lot marcus

_Mayday_ said:
3b) input current x input voltage = output voltage x output current

240V x input current = 5000 x 0.5

input current = 10.42A

is this correct?
It would be if you used 230V as stated in the problem.

_Mayday_ said:
4a) i got 120 primary turns
b) I used the formula from 3b) and i got 72 in the end.
Both correct.

_Mayday_ said:
I would like some clarification here.

thanks a lot marcus
4c) Think about what kind of wire is needed to carry 72 amps!
4d) Now think about where you'd like this wire to get hot, and where you want it cool.

What are Transformers and how do they work?

Transformers are electrical devices that are used to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another through electromagnetic induction. They consist of two or more coils of wire wrapped around a core made of iron or other magnetic material. When an alternating current (AC) flows through one coil, it creates a changing magnetic field which induces a current in the other coil.

What is induced current and how is it created in a transformer?

Induced current is the electrical current that is produced in a conductor due to changes in the magnetic field around it. In a transformer, the primary coil carrying the alternating current creates a changing magnetic field that passes through the secondary coil, inducing a current in the secondary coil.

What are the different types of transformers?

There are two main types of transformers: step-up transformers and step-down transformers. Step-up transformers increase the voltage and decrease the current, while step-down transformers decrease the voltage and increase the current. Other types include auto-transformers, isolation transformers, and three-phase transformers.

What are the uses of transformers?

Transformers are used in various applications, including power distribution, voltage regulation, and isolation. They are also commonly used in electronic devices to convert high voltage AC to low voltage DC for powering electronic circuits.

What are the factors that affect the efficiency of a transformer?

The efficiency of a transformer depends on factors such as the quality of the materials used, the design of the transformer, and the operating conditions such as temperature and frequency. Higher quality materials and better design can lead to higher efficiency.