Unsolved Problem: Are Outcomes of Two Inspectors Independent?

• Thread starter hypermonkey2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, the conversation discusses two inspectors in a factory who inspect a series of products and determine whether they are defective or not. The question is raised if the outcomes of their inspections are independent and if not, how to formalize this. The conclusion is that the outcomes are dependent, but formalizing it would require formalizing the assumptions as well.
hypermonkey2
Heres something i came across in a book but there's no solution...
take two inspectors in a factory (they can't talk to each other), and they inspect a series of products and they deem them defective or not. So the results would be (D,N), (N,N) ... where each coordinate is each inpectors verdict.
are the outcomes independent?

I would think not. But i cannot formalize that. thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do the two inspectors determine whether a product shoud be deemed defective or not defective?

What exactly do you mean by independent outcomes? That the ratings for different products of the series are independent? Or that that the two inspectors' opinions on one fixed product are independent? Or something else?

To give an answer to any of these question you need to specify how the inspectors decide upon their opinion regarding a (maybe defective) item.

They inspect the product. Essentially, i think that IF we assume that they perform some sort of inspection, that IF one inspector deems it defective, that it is MORE likely that the product actually IS defective, so it is MORE probable that the second inspector deems it defective too.
In that sense, the outcomes are dependent, no?
Right, it is the products of the series that are independent.
What do you think?

hypermonkey2 said:
Essentially, i think that IF we assume that they perform some sort of inspection, that IF one inspector deems it defective, that it is MORE likely that the product actually IS defective, so it is MORE probable that the second inspector deems it defective too.
In that sense, the outcomes are dependent, no?

I agree with you.

Great! How to formalize it?

You can't formalize the conclusion without the assumptions being formalized as well. Formalizing the assumptions would make the conclusion trivially follow.

1. What is an unsolved problem?

An unsolved problem is a research question or issue that does not currently have a definitive or agreed upon solution or answer.

2. What does it mean for two inspectors to have independent outcomes?

When two inspectors have independent outcomes, it means that the results or conclusions reached by one inspector do not affect or influence the results or conclusions reached by the other inspector. In other words, their outcomes are not dependent on each other.

3. Why is it important to determine if the outcomes of two inspectors are independent?

Determining if the outcomes of two inspectors are independent is important because it can affect the validity and reliability of their findings. If their outcomes are not independent, it may indicate bias or errors in their methods, which could lead to inaccurate or misleading conclusions.

4. What factors can affect the independence of inspectors' outcomes?

There are several factors that can affect the independence of inspectors' outcomes, such as their training, experience, personal biases, and the methods and protocols used for inspection. Additionally, any communication or collaboration between the inspectors during the inspection process can also impact the independence of their outcomes.

5. How can we determine if the outcomes of two inspectors are independent?

To determine if the outcomes of two inspectors are independent, statistical analysis can be used. This involves analyzing the data collected by the inspectors and looking for patterns or correlations between their outcomes. Additionally, conducting a blind or double-blind study, where the inspectors are not aware of each other's findings, can also help determine the independence of their outcomes.