Torricelli's Theorem and etc. help

• Thread starter crhscoog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the force exerted by water on a small drain plug located 5m from the bottom of a large tank filled with saltwater. It was determined that the force can be calculated using the formula F=P*A, where P is the total pressure (including atmospheric pressure) and A is the cross-sectional area of the plug. The speed of the water leaving the hole and the volume flow rate were also calculated using Bernoulli's equation and the formula for flow rate, respectively.
crhscoog

Homework Statement

A large tank, 25m in height and open at the top, is completely filled with saltwater (density of 1025kg/m^3). A small drain plug witha cross- sectional area of 4.0 x 10^-5 m^2 is located 5 m from the bottom of the tank.

a. calculate the force exerted by the water on the plug before the plug breaks
b. calculate the speed of the water as it leaves the hole in the side of the tank.
c. calculate the volume flow rate of the water from the hole.

The Attempt at a Solution

for b i used bernoulli's equation to solve this.
P1 + pgy1 + (1/2)pv^2 = P2 + pgy2 + (1/2)pv^3
reduced down to: v = sqr(2gh)
v= sqr((2)(9.8)(20))
v is approx 19.8 m/s

for c, flow rate = av
(4.0 x 10^-5 m^2)(19.8)
7.9196 x 10^-4

for a, f= pa
f= 101300 x (4.0 x 10^-5 m^2)

this right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi crhscoog,

crhscoog said:

Homework Statement

A large tank, 25m in height and open at the top, is completely filled with saltwater (density of 1025kg/m^3). A small drain plug witha cross- sectional area of 4.0 x 10^-5 m^2 is located 5 m from the bottom of the tank.

a. calculate the force exerted by the water on the plug before the plug breaks
b. calculate the speed of the water as it leaves the hole in the side of the tank.
c. calculate the volume flow rate of the water from the hole.

The Attempt at a Solution

for b i used bernoulli's equation to solve this.
P1 + pgy1 + (1/2)pv^2 = P2 + pgy2 + (1/2)pv^3
reduced down to: v = sqr(2gh)
v= sqr((2)(9.8)(20))
v is approx 19.8 m/s

for c, flow rate = av
(4.0 x 10^-5 m^2)(19.8)
7.9196 x 10^-4

for a, f= pa
f= 101300 x (4.0 x 10^-5 m^2)

I don't believe this is correct. This would give the force from the air on the plug, but you want to find the force from the water on the plug. Do you see how to find that?

alphysicist said:
Hi crhscoog,
I don't believe this is correct. This would give the force from the air on the plug, but you want to find the force from the water on the plug. Do you see how to find that?

hmm i see what you mean. ill look into my notes and see if i can find anything on it.

*from a glance at the notes, would it have to do something with absolute pressure?

crhscoog said:
hmm i see what you mean. ill look into my notes and see if i can find anything on it.

*from a glance at the notes, would it have to do something with absolute pressure?

You need to find the water pressure at that point, which is 20m below the surface. What would that be?

alphysicist said:
You need to find the water pressure at that point, which is 20m below the surface. What would that be?

pgh 1000 x 9.8 x 20 = 196000 Pa

Last edited:
crhscoog said:
pgh 1000 x 9.8 x 20 = 196000 Pa

That's the right idea; however they give a density (not 1000), and also what you have here is just the increase in pressure; remember that the full formula is:

[tex]
P = P_0 + \rho g h
[/tex]

alphysicist said:
That's the right idea; however they give a density (not 1000), and also what you have here is just the increase in pressure; remember that the full formula is:

[tex]
P = P_0 + \rho g h
[/tex]

ah right forgot about the given density

P= 101300 + (1025)(9.8)(20)
P= 200900 Pa

Using P=f/a, I multiply 200900 by (4.0 x 10^-5) to get:
f= 8.036 N

crhscoog said:
ah right forgot about the given density

P= 101300 + (1025)(9.8)(20)
P= 200900 Pa

I think you forgot to add the first term.

alphysicist said:
I think you forgot to add the first term.

ah snap. I am rushing this... sry =D

P(total)= 302200 Pa
F= 302200 x .00004
F= 12.088 N

crhscoog said:
ah snap. I am rushing this... sry =D

P(total)= 302200 Pa
F= 302200 x .00004
F= 12.088 N

That looks right to me for the water force on the plug.

alphysicist said:
That looks right to me for the water force on the plug.

thank you for your time, patience, and help. i really appreciate it!

You're welcome; I'm glad to help!

1. What is Torricelli's Theorem and how does it work?

Torricelli's Theorem states that the speed of a fluid flowing out of an opening in a container is equal to the speed that an object would achieve if it was dropped from the same height as the fluid's surface. This is due to the conservation of energy principle.

2. Who is Evangelista Torricelli and why is he important in the study of fluid mechanics?

Evangelista Torricelli was an Italian physicist and mathematician who is credited with discovering and formulating Torricelli's Theorem. He also invented the barometer, a device used to measure atmospheric pressure, and studied the behavior of gases.

3. What is the significance of Torricelli's Theorem in practical applications?

Torricelli's Theorem is used in various engineering and scientific fields, such as hydrodynamics, aeronautics, and meteorology. It helps in predicting the behavior of fluid flow and can be applied in designing and optimizing structures, such as pipelines and dams.

4. Are there any limitations to Torricelli's Theorem?

Yes, there are limitations to Torricelli's Theorem. It assumes that the fluid is incompressible, inviscid, and that the flow is steady. It also does not take into account external factors such as air resistance and surface tension, which can affect the actual behavior of fluid flow.

5. What are some examples of real-life applications of Torricelli's Theorem?

Torricelli's Theorem can be seen in action in everyday situations, such as filling a bathtub or swimming pool, draining water from a bottle, or pouring from a jug. It is also used in the design of sprinkler systems, hydraulic systems, and fountains.