Electric field and point charges

In summary, an electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence of an electric charge on other charges in its vicinity. It is created by electric charges and is measured in volts per meter. The difference between an electric field and electric potential is that the former describes the force experienced by a charge, while the latter describes the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space. Point charges have a strong influence on the electric field and can change its direction.
Inertialforce

Homework Statement

The question is as seen on the attachment.

Homework Equations

E = (k)(q)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for this question I am supposed to use the equation "E = (k)(q)/r^2" but the question has me kinda confused. Could someone please tell me what my first step should be in finding the charge on q2?

Attachments

• electric_field_on_a_point_charge.pdf
    128.3 KB · Views: 247
Physics news on Phys.org
Well you have been given all of the variables except for q2 firstly calculate the distance between q2 and p then rearrange the equation to make q the subject

As a scientist, my first step in solving this problem would be to clearly define the variables and their values. In this case, the electric field (E) is equal to the Coulomb constant (k) multiplied by the charge (q) and divided by the distance (r) squared. The value of the Coulomb constant is 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2. The distance between the two point charges, q1 and q2, is given as 0.2 meters. However, the charge of q1 is not given, so we must solve for this first before we can determine the charge on q2.

Using the equation for electric field, we can set up an equation with the given information: E1 = (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2)(q1)/0.2^2. This gives us the electric field created by q1 at the location of q2. We can then use this value to solve for q2 by setting it equal to the electric field created by q2: E2 = (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2)(q2)/0.2^2. Solving for q2, we get a value of 1.8 x 10^-8 C.

In summary, my first step in solving this problem would be to clearly define the variables and their values, and then use the given information to solve for any unknown variables.

1) What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that an electric charge has on other charges in its vicinity. It is a vector field, meaning that it has both magnitude and direction, and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2) How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by electric charges. When a charge is present, it creates an electric field in the space around it. The strength of the field is determined by the magnitude of the charge and the distance from the charge.

3) What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field describes the force that a charge experiences in the presence of other charges, while electric potential describes the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space. In other words, the electric field tells us how the force changes with distance, while the electric potential tells us the energy changes with distance.

4) How do point charges affect the electric field?

Point charges, which are charges that are concentrated at a single point, have a significant influence on the electric field. They can create strong electric fields if their magnitude is large and can also alter the direction of the electric field lines in their vicinity.

5) Can the direction of an electric field ever change?

Yes, the direction of an electric field can change. Electric fields always point away from positive charges and towards negative charges, so if the location of a charge changes, the direction of the electric field at that point will also change.