Average diameters of colloids

Once you have that, you can use the formula above to find the average diameter. In summary, the dispersion of spherical polymer particles contains 4•1013 particles/dm3 and has a total surface area of 820 m2 in 1 dm3. To calculate the average diameter, you can use the surface average formula or the volume average formula. To find the surface average, you can use the known surface area of the particles and the number of particles in 1 dm3. To find the volume average, you can use the known volume percentage of water in the dispersion.
kasse
A dispersion of spherical polymer particles contains Np = 4•1013 particles/dm3. The total surface of the particles in 1 dm3 is Asp = 820 m2.

a) What kind of average diameter can we calculate. Calculate this average diameter.

b) If we know that the dispersion contains 60 vol% water, we can calculate another type of average diameter. Which? Find it!

a) Surface average.

[tex]\bar{d_s} = \sqrt{\frac{\Sigma n_i d_i^2}{\Sigma n_i}}[/tex]

b) Volume average.

[tex]\bar{d_s} = \sqrt{\frac{\Sigma n_i d_i^3}{\Sigma n_i}}[/tex]

I don't know how to incorporate the data into the formulas.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't you just work it out by taking the surface area of a sphere and working back to get the radius?

You know the total surface area of the total particles in 1 litre, and you know how many particles there are in 1 litre, so from that you can work out the surface area of 1 particle.

a) To calculate the surface average diameter, we can use the formula:

\bar{d_s} = \sqrt{\frac{6}{\pi N_p}\frac{Asp}{\Sigma n_i}}

Plugging in the values given, we get:

\bar{d_s} = \sqrt{\frac{6}{\pi (4 \cdot 10^{13})}\frac{820 \text{ m}^2}{1 \text{ dm}^3}} = 2.62 \times 10^{-7} \text{ m}

b) To calculate the volume average diameter, we can use the formula:

\bar{d_v} = \sqrt[3]{\frac{6}{\pi N_p}\frac{V}{\Sigma n_i}}

Since we know that the dispersion contains 60 vol% water, we can calculate the volume of water in 1 dm3 as:

V = 1 \text{ dm}^3 \cdot 0.60 = 0.6 \text{ dm}^3

Plugging in the values given, we get:

\bar{d_v} = \sqrt[3]{\frac{6}{\pi (4 \cdot 10^{13})}\frac{0.6 \text{ dm}^3}{1 \text{ dm}^3}} = 1.14 \times 10^{-7} \text{ m}

Therefore, the volume average diameter of the colloids in this dispersion is 1.14 nanometers.

1. What are colloids?

Colloids are small particles that are dispersed throughout a medium, such as a liquid or gas. They are larger than molecules but smaller than particles that can be seen with the naked eye.

2. How are average diameters of colloids determined?

The average diameter of colloids can be determined through various techniques, such as dynamic light scattering, electron microscopy, and centrifugation. These methods involve measuring the size of the particles and calculating the average based on multiple measurements.

3. What factors can affect the average diameters of colloids?

The size of colloids can be influenced by factors such as temperature, pH, and ionic strength of the medium in which they are dispersed. The concentration and type of particles in the colloid can also impact the average diameter.

4. Why is it important to know the average diameters of colloids?

The average diameter of colloids is a crucial parameter in understanding their physical and chemical properties as well as their behavior in various environments. It can also provide insights into their potential applications in different industries, such as healthcare, food, and cosmetics.

5. Can the average diameters of colloids change over time?

Yes, the average diameters of colloids can change over time due to processes such as agglomeration, coalescence, and dissolution. These changes can be influenced by external factors, such as temperature, pressure, and chemical reactions.