How far apart are two stars resolved by a 68-cm telescope?

• Thread starter zyphriss2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary, by using Rayleigh's Criterion and the Pythagorean theorem, the distance between the two stars can be calculated by finding the angle between them and using the formula theta = (1.22 x lambda)/diameter of the telescope lens. By plugging in the given values, the distance is approximately 9.46 x 10^15 meters, expressed in two significant figures.
zyphriss2

Homework Statement

Two stars 18 light-years away are barely resolved by a 68 -cm (mirror diameter) telescope. How far apart are the stars? Assume \lambda = 540 <units>nm</units> and that the resolution is limited by diffraction.
Express your answer using two significant figures.

Homework Equations

Theta=(1.22 lambda)/diameter of the lense

9.4605284 × 10^15 meters

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue how to do this. I plugged the give info into the equation and got theta to equal 9.6882352941176470588235294117647e-7 then i just plugged this into the Pythagorean equation to get 559491313771834207552834.45286104

Physics news on Phys.org
Roughly from similair triangles:
lamba/D = separation/distance

The angle between the stars is 1.22lambda/D so you can work out this angle (remember is answer in radians) then you have the angle between two stars a distance away so getting the distance between them is easy.
Since the angles are small you can use the apprx theta = sin theta (in radians)

I have worked it out both ways and both of the answers i got were wrong

Remember, as mgb_phys stated, Rayleigh's Criterion expresses the angular distance in radians.

If you're still getting the incorrect answer I suggest you explicitly post how you're calculating the distance.

1. How is the distance between two stars measured?

The distance between two stars is measured using a unit called a parsec, which is equal to 3.26 light years. This unit is based on the parallax effect, which is the apparent shift in position of a star when viewed from different locations on Earth. Scientists use telescopes to measure the parallax angle of a star and calculate its distance.

2. What is the average distance between two stars?

The average distance between two stars in our Milky Way galaxy is estimated to be about 5 light years. However, this can vary greatly depending on the type of stars and their location within the galaxy. Some stars can be separated by hundreds or thousands of light years.

3. Can two stars be close together in space?

Yes, two stars can be very close together in space. In fact, some stars are part of binary or multiple star systems, where two or more stars orbit around each other. These stars can be as close as a few astronomical units (AU) apart, which is equivalent to the distance between the Earth and the Sun.

4. How far apart are the closest stars to Earth?

The closest star to Earth is Proxima Centauri, which is about 4.2 light years away. This star is part of the Alpha Centauri system, which is the closest star system to our solar system. The next closest star is Barnard's Star, which is about 6 light years away.

5. Can the distance between two stars change?

Yes, the distance between two stars can change over time. This is due to the fact that stars are constantly moving and their orbits can change due to gravitational interactions with other stars or objects. However, these changes are very small and are not noticeable over short periods of time.