Slowing the Mental Decline: Seeking Help and Support

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Support
In summary, Wolram is suffering from a mental issue, and is looking for ways to remedy it. He has friends here on the forum, and is looking for advice and support.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have a mental issue that is causing a slow decline in mental activity, does anyone know a way to slow this decline i sure hate not knowing, love wolram

Physics news on Phys.org
I am sure i did have some friends here may be uyou forgot, never mind i am sure i will be no problem to anyone soon:smile:

Hey woolie. How is your social life? Lack of stimulation can lead to diminished capacity.

DaveC426913 said:
Hey woolie. How is your social life? Lack of stimulation can lead to diminished capacity.

Dave i have no life as i am scared to even go out my door :smile:

Seriously man. Hard to tell these days if you're joking around or in earnest.

Do you suffer from agoraphobia too?

You know you have friends here...((hug)).

But Dave is right, I'm not sure online interactions are a good substitute for face-to-face relationships. How about if you invite some friends or family over for dinner?

Woolie, I have tried to send PM's but keep getting database errors and having to re-connect to PF. I'll be in touch when that clears up.

As long as you are posting, you are still alive. As we long as we are answering, you still have a social life. Do you want me to send you a postcard?

Well, Wolram, I fully agree with Lisa, do something, anything. Go to the pub, tell the jokes from here and keep thinking. Make pictures, find the most vivid colors of spring. Listen to the birds. Wonder about life and keep thinking.

DaveC426913 said:
Seriously man. Hard to tell these days if you're joking around or in earnest.

Do you suffer from agoraphobia too?

No Dave no jokes i seriously need , friends and help in any way possible, i do not want to become reliant on any on any one, i just need input

A slow decline, so we may have you around for many years yet. Keep reading, play often, laugh very loud and treasure everything around you. Keep a journal of everything, write it down, everything.

You are nice guys but i see you do not understand :smile: how can big brains understand no brains ,that would be like t rex knowing us, i just hope i can hold on to some modicum of intelligence

wolram said:
how can big brains

Call me big brain again and I will never post in your threads.

wolram said:
I have a mental issue that is causing a slow decline in mental activity, does anyone know a way to slow this decline i sure hate not knowing, love wolram

Hi wollie,
You say "a mental issue", is it one thing or just a general feeling? You might just have more help than you realize, on this forum.

Ron

wolram said:
i just hope i can hold on to some modicum of intelligence

Woolie, your posts over the years have more than adequately demonstrated that you're a very intelligent bloke. You're getting to the age where everyone starts to lose a bit of focus. It's been happening to me for years, and I'm pretty sure that you're a bit older than me.
Even if you're not naturally a social animal, just find a pub that you like and sit by yourself reading (or better yet, writing or drawing). Sure as hell, people will get curious enough to start up a conversation. Eventually someone will invite you to heave some darts or play some pool or even just join their table for some chat. You won't likely get on with all of them, but at least a few will become friends. Don't rush it. In the meantime, we're certainly not about to turn our backs on you.

WOLRAM! I love you Wolram! I've been swamped and the forum's been down and Now I am getting into the car. Hang on.

Hang in there woolie.

wolram said:

The perception of mental illness can often lead people to place a disproportionate amount of attention to the qualities they have that might indicate mental illness, leading to further re-enforcement of the idea and a feedback loop that results in the individual displaying qualities that are indistinguishable from real mental illness.

This video will give you general heuristics for solving your problem:

UyPrL0cmJRs[/youtube] Also you c...ll age demographics: [url]www.facebook.com
www.twitter.com
www.stumbleupon.com

Doing mental exercise helps keep your brain working longer. Read books, do puzzles, that sort of thing. Physical exercise can help too, even if it's just a walk around the neighborhood once a day. If you're worried that something might happen while out walking, go out at a time of day when other people are home and active in their yards. For example, about the time everyone comes home from work and before they make dinner, you might take a stroll, and if something happens, plenty of people will be around to help.

Do you have a town square or something similar where people gather on weekends or during the lunch hour? Maybe you can meet people that way. Any clubs or organizations you could join? Maybe there is a gathering for gardeners? Or maybe you have a local library with events? What about a cafe that's not too busy during the day where you could sit for a while with a book and flirt with waitresses who are bored from too few customers?

Don't worry Wolram, my grandmother complains of the same thing. I always tell her to ... What were we talking about?

sunshine, lots of it.

quality sleep.

no alcohol at all, especially if you've got a history with it. lots of people report increases in paranoia and anxiety when they go on a bender, just like with weed. no weed, either.

proper diet. lean protein, fruits and vegetables, omega-3 fats from fish, choline from eggs and liver, betaine from spinach, etc.

keep busy. mentally AND physically. aerobic exercise is excellent. make an effort to be around people.

consider getting your hormones tested. men experience depression when their testosterone falls.

ear infection/inflammation/dysfunction can cause an alarm state that leads to anxiety and depression. the correlation here is high.

consider pharmaceutical help if nothing else works. and if you're afraid of drugs for some reason, realize that there are some non-drug pharmaceuticals available to physicians these days including http://www.pamlab.com/Products,Cerefolin and http://www.deplin.com/ in the US, and i believe SAM-e is available by prescription in Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if my PMs got to you or not, Woolie. The database keeps throwing errors at me, so to summarize:

It is very unsettling to lose one's job, one's mobility, and one's ability to associate freely with others. In your case, the latter might be a problem because it's hard to get to places where you can socialize regularly. In my own case, isolation is forced because I can't afford to be around the general public, because frankly almost everybody is bathed in fragrance chemicals and I'd end up dead if I were not cautious. I am lucky that I have a loving wife that comes home every night after work - without her, life would be horrible, especially in the long winters when I am essentially house-bound except for the times when I can get out and walk, take pictures, and do physical work. Mood-swings can be a problem for me when I'm feeling isolated and I have to work at that lest I fall into a state of lethargy or depression. I have some pretty dark days when I'm so ticked off at the whole health-care system, Social Security, etc. I have worked as much as possible since I was in my early teens, and have sometimes defined myself (to some extent) by the work I was doing, and my importance to the businesses of others. Seems like a silly thing to have to let go of, but there it is. I hate collecting a check for doing nothing when I could have continued working with reasonable accommodations.

You may be on some long-term medications, and though they might be touted as having "a low risk of side-effects", you need to see a doctor or two to see if the medicines could be implicated in your perceived symptoms. I know you hate going to doctors, but you really have to consider breaking down in this case.

Good luck, friend. Take care of yourself - you have family that needs you.

Last edited:
I am pretty much new here.

I have read many topics and posts, basically lurking around, absorbing and enjoying all the conversations you guys post here.

Wolram, your posts, among few other members' always stood out to me for the expertise you displayed. I always valued your opinion.

Keep contributing to this great forum you helped to build.

I wish you all the best.

Chris

Hey Wolram,

If I were you, I'd take great comfort in knowing that you clearly have plenty of friends here on PF who care about you. As the others said, try doing things to stimulate your mind that you enjoy such as drawing or reading possibly.

Go out and enjoy nature if you can, that usually calms me while at the same time stimulating my mind. Watch animals and the clouds and all that good stuff.

All the best buddy.

Last edited:
Hey Wolram,

I am here for you. What can I do to help?
Why are you not leaving the house? Not long ago, you were out and taking all those great pictures. Did you replace that broken camera? I thought that you had gotten a new one.

Hugs and kisses from your friend MIH :smile:

Evo said:
WOLRAM! I love you Wolram! I've been swamped and the forum's been down and Now I am getting into the car. Hang on.

Uh-oh. Evo has one of those new flying cars that have been in the news lately. Why does this worry me so much... ? :eek:

Wollie, I agree with the physical exercise and walks. You can wear an unobtrusive particulate mask if the pollen is bothersome (get the N95 versions from the hardware store, and it's okay to reuse them for protection against pollen).

As for mentally stimulating activities, are you a fan of chess? There are free chess programs on the Internet, and plenty of sites where you can play games against others interactively, at your same level. I love playing chess, and the mental challenge of trying to get better and learn the many aspects of the game.

Do you play any musical instruments? Learning a new instrument, and how to read music for it is a wonderful challenge, and fun at the same time. Anything from drums (practice pads are cheap) to keyboard, to a guitar, to a wind instrument. Heck, you might even be able to find a group of friends to play together with! Look out, Woolie is in a band!

Hang in there my friend. Life is precious. It is worth living to the fullest that we each can.

berkeman said:
Learning a new instrument, and how to read music for it is a wonderful challenge

In that same vein, you could emulate my buddy's uncle, who could play 'Oh Canada' on a fart. Having read about your dietary habits, that might not be much of a stretch for you.

Wolram you are a nice man, an ace geezer.If you do take up music you may consider starting up a new boy band.If so please consider me in your line up,I'm pretty good on the spoons and from a distance I don't look all that ancient.Try to get out there and enjoy yourself mate.

What is the mental issue? What are the symptoms like?

A timely report:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090423/sc_livescience/worryingoverfadingmemorymakesitworse;_ylt=AueJzQFAZSLw7mot9woUX9us0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNnZmZuc2lvBGFzc2V0A2xpdmVzY2llbmNlLzIwMDkwNDIzL3dvcnJ5aW5nb3ZlcmZhZGluZ21lbW9yeW1ha2VzaXR3b3JzZQRjcG9zAzEwBHBvcwMxNwRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawN3b3JyeWluZ292ZXI-

Last edited by a moderator:
wolram said:
I am sure i did have some friends here may be uyou forgot, never mind i am sure i will be no problem to anyone soon:smile:

I need problems. I have plenty of problems already, but one can never have too many.

Woolie:

Everybody here has given great suggestions. I particularly like Moonbear's idea of going to a local diner and flirting with waitstaff... it works for our disabled son (they're even throwing him a birthday party next week)! Even if you're having some health difficulties, like people say, you still are very much on top of the game in many ways. And I hate doctors too, but like turbo says -- maybe there's a side effect or even a drug-drug interaction going wacko.

So yeah -- no extra stuff to add, but know that you have my support!

If it's so serious as to impair your ability to go about daily life for a long period of time (ie. more than feeling blue or feeling stupid), please see a doctor - a good one - and make sure he has as complete a history of the problem as possible.

misgfool said:
I need problems. I have plenty of problems already, but one can never have too many.

Please wait in line. You are neither first nor the only one who wants these problems.

Borek said:
Please wait in line. You are neither first nor the only one who wants these problems.

I think that there should be a fair tender opened for these problems.