Snell's Law - figuring out index of refraction

In summary, to determine the index of refraction of a block of plastic, one must use Snell's Law and trigonometric relationships. By relating the internal angles of incidence and refraction to each other, two equations with two unknowns can be obtained and solved to find the index of refraction.
Munky
Snell's Law -- figuring out index of refraction

Homework Statement

A light ray enters a rectangular block of plastic at an angle of θ1 = 45.0° and emerges at an angle of θ2 = 79.0°, as shown in Figure P35.71.

(the image is of light entering the block from the west, and exiting from the south -- it is NOT exiting parallel sides, but perpendicular sides)

Determine the index of refraction of the plastic.

n= index of refraction of block of plastic

Homework Equations

sin (angle of incident) = n sin (angle of refraction)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that some kind of trig relationship is involved here, but I can't identify it.

I have two equations with two unknowns.

First angle of incidence is 45deg, giving

sin 45deg = n sin (angle of refraction)

Second angle is 79deg, giving

n sin (angle of incedence) = sin 79deg

I can solve for n and substitute, but then i end up with one equation and two unknowns (the internal angles).

I can't solve for an angle, taking the inverse sin of an unknown n.

Any help?

thx,
munky

Physics news on Phys.org

You need to relate the angle of refraction to the angle of incidence. Draw yourself a diagram. Hint: Look for the right triangle.

p35-71.gif

here's the image.

all i can gather from the right angle formed by the norms is that the internal angles also add up to 90deg. The only way the external angles relate to the internal angles, though, is by n... which i don't know...

Munky said:
all i can gather from the right angle formed by the norms is that the internal angles also add up to 90deg.
That's the key. If the two internal angles add to 90, how do their trig functions (sine, cosine) relate?
The only way the external angles relate to the internal angles, though, is by n... which i don't know...
First relate the internal angles (or trig functions of them) to each other, then use that relationship in your Snell's law equations. (You'll end up with two equations and two unknowns--perfect.)

I'm getting ready to crunch the numbers now, but I think I've found it... I knew it was some trig thing... it's literally been almost twenty years since I've done trig... lol.

What I found is that in a right triangle, the sin of an angle is equal to the cosine of it's compliment. So it should follow that the internal refraction and internal incedence angles are the sin and cos of the same angle... due to their complimentary nature?

As my daughter is fond of saying... "Waaaahooo!"
Thanks for your time. Now, according to Murphy, since I spent so much time on that, I won't need to know it tomorrow... lol.

Munky said:
What I found is that in a right triangle, the sin of an angle is equal to the cosine of it's compliment. So it should follow that the internal refraction and internal incedence angles are the sin and cos of the same angle... due to their complimentary nature?
You've got it:
sinθa = cosθb

Munky said:
Now, according to Murphy, since I spent so much time on that, I won't need to know it tomorrow... lol.
Ain't that always how it is? :wink:

What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law is a physics principle that describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction when light travels through different mediums.

How do you calculate the index of refraction using Snell's Law?

The index of refraction can be calculated by dividing the sine of the angle of incidence by the sine of the angle of refraction, as shown in the equation n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2. n1 and n2 represent the indices of refraction of the two mediums, and θ1 and θ2 represent the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively.

What is the difference between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction?

The angle of incidence is the angle at which light enters a medium, while the angle of refraction is the angle at which light bends as it passes through the medium. The two angles are related by Snell's Law.

Can Snell's Law be used for all types of waves?

Yes, Snell's Law can be applied to all types of waves, including light, sound, and water waves. It describes the relationship between the direction of a wave as it enters a different medium, regardless of the type of wave.

What are some real-world applications of Snell's Law?

Snell's Law is used in many practical applications, including designing lenses for glasses and cameras, understanding the behavior of light in different mediums, and predicting the path of light in optical devices such as prisms and lenses.