Connection between fabric of space, max. speed (of light) and time dilation

In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum speed of waves in the air and whether the maximum speed in space is limited by the maximum possible change in the fabric of space. It also touches on the concept of time dilation and how it is affected by an observer's velocity. The participants suggest reading more threads and studying course material to better understand the complexities of relativity and its lack of a physical model similar to sound propagation.
mdl
Hi all,

1. the max. speed of waves in the air is the speed of sound. it's caused by the physical limitation - changes in the air fabric (particles) can't propagate faster in it.
2. so I was wondering, whether the max. speed in our space isn't limited by the max. (indivisible/atomic) change possible in the fabric of space.
3. Albert says: in vacuum, light always travels the speed of light relative to observer (whatever speed he is traveling). i think the observer who is traveling 1/2 of max. speed and turns on a laser beam perceives that the beam is propagating in speed of light not because it is so, but because observer's time is slowed down.
4. so why is his time slower? time could be defined as the number of changes of space relative to some other number of changes of space (e.g. second). the smallest changes are in the subatomic scale and (i think) they are propagating in the speed of light. but if the observer is traveling 1/2 of max. speed, some % of subatomic changes can't propagate that fast. the faster the rocket flies, the more % of changes slow down (exponentially?). is this the reason for time dilation?

thanks,
mdl

Physics news on Phys.org
i think the observer who is traveling 1/2 of max. speed and turns on a laser beam perceives that the beam is propagating in speed of light not because it is so, but because observer's time is slowed down.
Hmmm. In relativity you have to talk about relative velocity. What do you mean by the above ? In whose frame is the observer traveling at 1/2c ?

Remember there is no way to distinguish uniform motion from rest.

Mentz114 said:
Hmmm. In relativity you have to talk about relative velocity. What do you mean by the above ? In whose frame is the observer traveling at 1/2c ?
I mean he is traveling relative to "motionless" observer (e.g. on Earth orbit).

Mentz114 said:
Remember there is no way to distinguish uniform motion from rest.
maybe i just need to read more threads..

mdl:
I mean he is traveling relative to "motionless" observer (e.g. on Earth orbit).
OK, that clears it up.

Reading more threads is a good idea, so is reading some course material. I don't think anyone knows 'why' relativistic effects happen and we're a long way from a physical model similar to sound propagation. Relativity works without needing an aetherial 'medium' for light to propagate in ( or through ).

What is the concept of the fabric of space?

The fabric of space refers to the idea that space is not just a vast emptiness, but rather a dynamic and constantly changing medium that can be affected by matter and energy. This fabric is thought to be made up of gravitational fields that are responsible for the movement of objects in space.

What is the maximum speed, or speed limit, in the fabric of space?

The maximum speed in the fabric of space is the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This speed is considered to be the fastest possible speed that any object or information can travel in the universe.

How does the speed of light relate to the fabric of space?

The speed of light is a fundamental property of the fabric of space. It is the speed at which electromagnetic waves, including light, can travel through the fabric. This speed is constant and is a crucial factor in many scientific theories and equations.

What is time dilation and how does it relate to the fabric of space?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time passes at different rates for objects moving at different speeds. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that time and space are interconnected. The fabric of space plays a role in time dilation as it is affected by the presence of matter and energy, which can warp the fabric and alter the speed of time.

Can the fabric of space be manipulated to travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to our current understanding of physics, it is not possible to manipulate the fabric of space to travel faster than the speed of light. The fabric is thought to be a fundamental aspect of the universe, and any attempts to manipulate it would require an immense amount of energy and go against the laws of physics.