Help Me With Lock-in Amplifier for Third Harmonic Voltage Measurement

In summary, you would connect the BNC connector to the input of the lock-in amplifier, and then connect something to "ref in" on the lock-in to provide a reference frequency. You would then need to connect something to "bias in" on the differential amp to bias the input to the lock-in. The voltage outputs of the differential amp are either + or - and may or may not be grounded.
appsci
I need a help with lock in amplifier. I want to measure third-harmonic voltage from lock in amplifier. I have metal liner on a film on the substrate and I pass ac current through this metal liner which acts both as a heater and a thermometer. I want to calculate the third harmonic voltage from this. I have differential amplifier circuit where I eliminate the primary voltage component with the help of lock-in amp. I just don't know where to connect what.
m8ece8.jpg

Should I connect the BNC connector to the input of lock in amp, that subtracts the two voltage. Should I have to connect the cable in osc out or ref in.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If I understand this circuit correctly, then:

"V1-V2" would be connected to the lock-in input. It's probably labeled "signal" or "input" or "signal in" or "V in"

You'll need to connect something to "ref in" on the lock-in, so that it has a reference frequency. Perhaps directly from the voltage generator, or you might use V2 for this. Be careful that voltages are not too high or too low for the lock-in -- do you have the manual? It would be good to check what voltage level is required for the reference, as well as how much voltage would damage the lock-in.

That being said, I have some questions to help me understand better what is going on:

What is the make and model of the lock-in?

Do you have the manual?

Does the lock-in have a "3rd harmonic" or "3f" mode?

In the circuit diagram, are a, b, c and d actual devices or circuit elements, or are they just labels for nodes in the circuit?

Are the BNC jacks on the differential amp grounded to the case?

Are either of the voltage supply outputs (+ or -) grounded?

I would suggest seeking guidance from a knowledgeable colleague or consulting a detailed manual for your specific lock-in amplifier model. However, based on the information provided, here are some recommendations:

1. Connect the BNC connector from your differential amplifier circuit to the input of the lock-in amplifier. This will allow the lock-in amplifier to receive the signal from your experiment.

2. Connect the cable from the lock-in amplifier's output (osc out) to your data acquisition system or oscilloscope. This will allow you to view and record the third harmonic voltage measurement.

3. The reference input (ref in) of the lock-in amplifier can be used to improve the signal-to-noise ratio of your measurement. You can connect a signal generator or a reference signal from your experiment to this input.

4. Make sure to properly configure the settings on your lock-in amplifier, such as the frequency range and filter settings, to accurately measure the third harmonic voltage.

Overall, it is important to carefully read the lock-in amplifier's manual and understand its functions and settings to ensure accurate measurements. If you are still unsure, it is always best to consult with an expert or the manufacturer for further assistance.

What is a lock-in amplifier and how does it work?

A lock-in amplifier is a specialized electronic instrument used to measure weak signals in the presence of high levels of noise. It works by multiplying the input signal with a reference signal, and then filtering out all other frequencies except for the one of interest. This allows for the accurate measurement of small signals that would otherwise be drowned out by noise.

Why is a lock-in amplifier commonly used for third harmonic voltage measurement?

A lock-in amplifier is commonly used for third harmonic voltage measurement because it is highly sensitive to small signals at a specific frequency. The third harmonic frequency is often used in electrical power systems, making it a useful measurement for studying power quality and detecting issues such as voltage distortion.

What is the process for setting up and calibrating a lock-in amplifier for third harmonic voltage measurement?

The first step in setting up a lock-in amplifier for third harmonic voltage measurement is to properly connect the input and reference signals. Then, the amplifier must be tuned to the third harmonic frequency and the appropriate filter settings must be selected. Calibration can be done by using a known reference signal and adjusting the amplifier's gain until the known signal is accurately measured.

What are the advantages of using a lock-in amplifier for third harmonic voltage measurement?

There are several advantages of using a lock-in amplifier for third harmonic voltage measurement. It provides high sensitivity and accuracy, making it ideal for measuring small signals in noisy environments. It also allows for the measurement of specific frequencies, which can be useful for studying specific harmonics in power systems. Additionally, a lock-in amplifier can be used for both AC and DC measurements.

Are there any limitations or considerations when using a lock-in amplifier for third harmonic voltage measurement?

While a lock-in amplifier is a powerful tool for third harmonic voltage measurement, there are a few limitations to keep in mind. It may not be suitable for measuring rapidly changing signals, and the accuracy of the measurement can be affected by changes in the input or reference signals. Additionally, the setup and calibration process can be time-consuming and may require some technical expertise.