Understanding Leibnitz Notation for Differential Equations

• Thread starter James889
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In the next step, it appears as +C.However, it can be any constant. It's not necessarily the same constant in every step.In summary, the conversation discusses a solution to a differential equation problem involving the expression \frac{dy}{dx} - \frac{2y}{x} = x^2. The solution involves the use of e^\int{ \frac{-2}{x}} = \frac{1}{x^2} and the notation \frac{d}{dx}\frac{y}{x^2}, which represents differentiating y/x^2 with respect to x. The conversation also touches on the difference in meaning between the notations \frac{dx}{e^x} and
James889
Hi,

I was looking at a solution to a differential equation problem. And there are some parts that i don't understand.

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} - \frac{2y}{x} = x^2[/tex]

And the solution looks like this:

[tex]e^\int{ \frac{-2}{x}} = \frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{x^2}\frac{dy}{dx} -\frac{2}{x^3}y=1[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\frac{y}{x^2}=1[/tex]

This is the part i don't understand, what does [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\frac{y}{x^2}[/tex] mean, and why is it equal to 1 ?

To be honest i find this notation pretty confusing.

Physics news on Phys.org
James889 said:

This is the part i don't understand, what does [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\frac{y}{x^2}[/tex] mean, and why is it equal to 1 ?

Hi James889! :smile:

It just means d/dx of y/x2

use the product rule, and that's (dy/dx)(1/x2) + y(-2/x3) …

which is the LHS of the previous line! :wink:

Because

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}( \frac{y}{x^2}) = \frac{1}{x^2}\frac{dy}{dx}- \frac{2}{x^3}y[/tex]

James889 said:
Hi,

I was looking at a solution to a differential equation problem. And there are some parts that i don't understand.

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} - \frac{2y}{x} = x^2[/tex]

And the solution looks like this:

[tex]e^\int{ \frac{-2}{x}} = \frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]

To be honest i find this notation pretty confusing.
What that means is that you differentiate [itex]yx^2[/itex] with respect to x! That's pretty basic terminology. If you going to study calculus, you had better learn it:
[tex]\frac{df}{dx}[/tex] means "differentiate f with respect to x".

In this case, y is a function of x so we need to use both the product rule and the chain rule.
[tex]\frac{d yx^2}{dx}= \frac{dy}{dx}(x^2)+ y\frac{dx^2}{dx}[/tex]
exactly what is on the left side of your equation above. It is equal to one because it is equal to the left side of the equation whose right side is 1: If A= B and B= C then A= C.

James,
You're not asking the right question. The question is not why that derivative is 1, but what does it mean that that derivative is 1. The equation is
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \frac{y}{x^2} = 1[/tex]

This is saying that the derivative wrt x of y/x2 = 1, which can only be true if y/x2 = x. This means that y/x2 = x ==> y = x3. Notice that this is the solution of the given differential equation.

Mark44 said:
… This is saying that the derivative wrt x of y/x2 = 1, which can only be true if y/x2 = x.

plus a constant! :wink:

Hello,

What is the difference in meaning between these notations?
[tex]\frac{dx}{e^x}[/tex] and [tex]e^x dx[/tex]

Hello James889! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

There's nothing special about dx "over" something …

(unless the "something" also starts with "d", of course!)

dx/ex is the same as (1/ex)dx :wink:

James889 said:
Hello,

What is the difference in meaning between these notations?
[tex]\frac{dx}{e^x}[/tex] and [tex]e^x dx[/tex]
That's a peculiar question!

[itex]e^x dx[/itex] is dx times [itex]e^x[/itex] and [itex]dx/e^x[/itex] is dx divided by [itex]e^x[/itex]

You could also write [itex]dx/e^x[/itex] as [itex](1/e^x)dx[/itex] or [itex]e^{-x}dx[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
That's a peculiar question!

[itex]e^x dx[/itex] is dx times [itex]e^x[/itex] and [itex]dx/e^x[/itex] is dx divided by [itex]e^x[/itex]

You could also write [itex]dx/e^x[/itex] as [itex](1/e^x)dx[/itex] or [itex]e^{-x}dx[/itex].

Yes yes, I am not the sharpest knife in the box :rolleyes:

tiny-tim said:
plus a constant! :wink:
Right, but in the DE the constant was zero, so I omitted it in that step.

What is Leibnitz Notation for Differential Equations?

Leibnitz Notation is a mathematical notation used to represent derivatives and differentials in calculus, particularly in differential equations. It was developed by German mathematician and philosopher Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz in the late 17th century.

How is Leibnitz Notation different from other notations for derivatives?

Leibnitz Notation uses the symbol dy/dx to represent the derivative of a function y with respect to x. This notation is more intuitive and easier to use compared to other notations such as Newton's dot notation or Lagrange's prime notation. It also allows for the representation of higher order derivatives, such as d²y/dx² for the second derivative of y with respect to x.

What is the significance of Leibnitz Notation in differential equations?

Leibnitz Notation is essential in differential equations as it allows for the representation of the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. This notation is particularly useful in solving differential equations, as it simplifies the process of finding the appropriate derivative and setting up the equation.

Can Leibnitz Notation be used for both ordinary and partial differential equations?

Yes, Leibnitz Notation can be used for both ordinary and partial differential equations. In ordinary differential equations, the independent variable is typically denoted by x, while in partial differential equations, multiple independent variables are used, such as x, y, and z. Leibnitz Notation can represent derivatives with respect to any of these variables.

Are there any limitations to using Leibnitz Notation in differential equations?

One limitation of Leibnitz Notation is that it is not as precise as other notations, such as Lagrange's prime notation, which explicitly shows the order of the derivative. This can sometimes lead to confusion, especially when dealing with higher order derivatives. Additionally, Leibnitz Notation is not commonly used in fields outside of calculus and differential equations.