Work Energy Theorem, Kinetic Energy, and Tension

In summary, a person with a mass of 90 kg is lifted by a rescue helicopter with an upward acceleration of 0.70 m/s^2 and a displacement of 10 m. The tension in the cable pulling the person upwards is 945 N and the work done by this tension is 9,450 J. The final speed of the person can be found by using the work-energy theorem to calculate the change in kinetic energy.
IAmSparticus
1. A rescue helicopter lifts a 90 kg person straight up by means of a cable. The person has an upward acceleration of 0.70 m/s2 and is lifted from rest through a distance of 10 m. What is the tension in the cable and how much work is done by the tension in the cable? Use the work-energy theorem to find the final speed of the person as well.

2. Work Energy theorem: Wnet = (1/2 mass velocity final^2) - (1/2 mass velocity initial^2)
Tension: T = mass gravity

3. Tension: mass gravity
T = 90 kg * 9.8 m/s^2
T = 882 N
Which is wrong according to Webassign.

WET = Delta K
WET = (1/2 mass velocity final^2) - (1/2 mass velocity initial^2)
Not sure how to go about solving this part. I guess the masses cancel, but what next?

Physics news on Phys.org
IAmSparticus said:
3. Tension: mass gravity
T = 90 kg * 9.8 m/s^2
T = 882 N

It's no surprise that that is wrong. Remember that the person is accelerating upwards. This means that there is a net upward force on him. If the tension is only just balancing his weight, then obviously the net force is zero, and he won't be accelerating. If that's not clear, then you need to review Newton's 2nd Law.

Ok, so I tried using Newtons Second Law, Force = mass * acceleration, and now I got 63 N, which is apparently still wrong.

IAmSparticus said:
Ok, so I tried using Newtons Second Law, Force = mass * acceleration, and now I got 63 N, which is apparently still wrong.

Yeah, that's the NET force which is pulling him upwards. Draw a free body diagram for the person, and you'll see that two forces are acting on him, namely his weight downwards, and the force due to the tension in the cable, upwards. You add the two forces acting on him together (taking direction into account) to get the net (total) force on the person. The upward force (tension) must **exceed** his weight by 63 N in order for there to be a NET upward force of that amount accelerating him upward. Do you understand?

I think I understand, so would the net force be -9.1 m/s^2 * 90 kg which would equal -819 N?

No. Did you draw a free body diagram for the person like I suggested?

T is pulling him upwards.

Weight is pulling him downwards. Let's call the magnitude of the weight W. Then the weight is -W.

To find the net force, add the two forces that are acting on him:

T + (-W) = T - W = Fnet = +63 N

For T - W to be positive, T must be greater than W. In other words, the force pulling him upwards is greater than the force pulling him downwards, so that the force pulling him upwards "wins." This is what we mean when we say that there is a NET upward force on him. "Net" = the direction and magnitude of the end result, after all forces have been considered.

T - W = 63 N.

You know what W is.

W is equal to the weight, which is the gravitational force times the mass, so -9.8 m/s^2 * 90 kg... which is -882 N. Correct?

IAmSparticus said:
W is equal to the weight, which is the gravitational force times the mass, so -9.8 m/s^2 * 90 kg... which is -882 N. Correct?

Yeah, that's correct. Now, as I've stated before, the strength of the force pulling him upwards must be greater than that (in magnitude) by 63 N.

So I add 63 N to -882 N to get -819 N? Or is it positive 819 N since it is in the opposite direction of the weight? Or would it be 945 N since that is what 63 N + 882N (the opposite of the weight) equals?

There is only one of those possibilities that makes sense (the third one that you wrote). I am going to tell you the reason for the fourth time: the force pulling him upward has to be larger (in magnitude) than the force pulling him downward in order for him to be moving upward.

One way to think of it:

T - W = 63

T - 882 = 63

T = 882 + 63

Just think of it in terms of magnitudes (ignoring direction). The *magnitude* of the weight is 882 N, and the magnitude of the tension is 63 N larger than that.

So the work done by the tension would be equal to the force times the displacement, or 945 N * 10 m, which would equal 9450 J?

IAmSparticus said:
So the work done by the tension would be equal to the force times the displacement, or 945 N * 10 m, which would equal 9450 J?

Sounds about right to me!

So then to find the final speed of the person I'm supposed to use the work energy theorem which will help me find the change in kinetic energy which is [ (1/2 mass velocity final^2) - (1/2 mass velocity initial^2) ]?

1. What is the Work Energy Theorem?

The Work Energy Theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that when a force is applied to an object, the work done by that force will result in a change in the object's speed or direction.

2. How is Kinetic Energy defined?

Kinetic Energy is defined as the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is directly proportional to the mass of the object and the square of its velocity. The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 mv^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity of the object.

3. What is the relationship between Work Energy Theorem and Kinetic Energy?

The Work Energy Theorem is a direct consequence of the definition of Kinetic Energy. The work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that the more work that is done on an object, the more its kinetic energy will increase.

4. How is Tension defined?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a medium, such as a rope or cable, when it is pulled from opposite ends. It is always directed along the length of the medium and is equal in magnitude at both ends. Tension can also be defined as the force that is necessary to keep an object in a state of equilibrium when it is being pulled on by other forces.

5. How does Tension affect the Work Energy Theorem and Kinetic Energy?

Tension can affect the Work Energy Theorem and Kinetic Energy in various ways, depending on the situation. In some cases, tension can do work on an object, resulting in an increase in its kinetic energy. In other cases, tension can be used to balance out other forces acting on an object, resulting in no change in kinetic energy. Additionally, tension can also act as a constraint on an object's motion, limiting its potential for kinetic energy.