How Do You Solve a Vector Mechanics Problem in Polar Coordinates?

In summary, there is a block or particle with an initial horizontal velocity of Vom/s at the top of a cylinder with a radius of X. Assuming no friction, the maximum angle at which the block or particle will remain in contact with the cylinder can be calculated using normal tangential coordinates, resulting in the equation theta = cos^(-1)(2/3 + Vo^2/(3gX)). However, the problem also requires the use of polar coordinates, which may result in the same equation as normal tangential coordinates due to the cylindrical shape of the object. It is important to accurately solve for both coordinate systems to receive full points for the problem. If the equations turn out to be the same, it is necessary to explain
Bobafable
I have a block/particle that has an initial velocity of Vom/s horizontally and its starting at the top and it is moving down the side of a cylinder with a radius of X. Assume no friction. What is the maximum angle at which the block/particle will remain in contact with the cylinder?

So I derived it in normal tangential coordinates and got that

theta = cos ^(-1) ( 2/3 +Vo^2/(3gX))

Which I am confident is correct. But I also need to figure out how to do it in polar coordinates. So if anyone knows how to do it or knows where to start I would be greatful for any type of help!
Thanks
BOB

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi BOB! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
Bobafable said:
So I derived it in normal tangential coordinates and got that

theta = cos ^(-1) ( 2/3 +Vo^2/(3gX))

Which I am confident is correct. But I also need to figure out how to do it in polar coordinates.

I don't understand :redface:

it's a cylinder, so normal and tangential coordinates are polar coordinates, aren't they? :confused:

Yes, I believe they are but my teacher asked me specifically to do them in both coordinates and the problem is broken up into 50% of the points are distributed to each coordinate system.
I have to get each coordinate system correct to get any points at all. So I kinda need to be sure that it is right. If they are the same, then how would I basically do the same work but represent it differently or sufficiently explain that they are the same. Or is there a way that I can do it polar that's different than my previous way.

1. What is a vector mechanics problem?

A vector mechanics problem involves the application of vector quantities, such as force, velocity, and acceleration, to solve problems related to the motion of objects.

2. How do you solve a vector mechanics problem?

To solve a vector mechanics problem, you first need to identify all vector quantities involved and their directions. Then, you can use vector addition and subtraction to find the net force or velocity. Finally, use equations of motion to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are some common types of vector mechanics problems?

Some common types of vector mechanics problems include finding the net force acting on an object, calculating the velocity or acceleration of an object, and determining the displacement of an object.

4. How do you represent vectors in a vector mechanics problem?

Vectors are represented using arrows, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector.

5. What are some real-world applications of vector mechanics?

Vector mechanics has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and mechanics. It is used to analyze the motion of objects, design structures and machines, and understand the forces acting on different systems.