Reverse-engineering a system of linear equations from solution, using matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a system of linear equations with 3 unknowns given two points that lie on a line. The individual attempts to use matrices but struggles and ends up finding two equations that represent the planes that intersect at the given points. These equations, 4x- 2y= 2 and x+ 2z= 3, can be used as the system of equations.
dark494

Homework Statement

Find a system of linear equations, with 3 unknowns, given that the solutions are the points (1,1,1) and (3,5,0) on a line.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

A solution that lies on a line tells me that I'm looking at the line of intersection between 2 planes. I'm supposed to be using matrices to solve this, but I've only ever done so in the other direction: taking a system of linear equations and reducing them to reduced-row-echelon-form to find the solution set.

Since there are infinitely many solutions, there must be at least 1 dependent variable. I figured that I would need to first find the equation for the line from the points of the solution, but I ended up with this:

(x-1)/2 = (y-1)/4 = (z-1)/-1

which only confused me more. Then I tried to formulate an augmented matrix to try and find the coefficients of the linear equations, but didn't get very far after reduction, and I realized that I was still missing the right hand side of the matrix:

[a 0b 2.5c ?]
[0a b -1.5c ?]

And this is where I stand. Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
dark494 said:

Homework Statement

Find a system of linear equations, with 3 unknowns, given that the solutions are the points (1,1,1) and (3,5,0) on a line.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

A solution that lies on a line tells me that I'm looking at the line of intersection between 2 planes. I'm supposed to be using matrices to solve this, but I've only ever done so in the other direction: taking a system of linear equations and reducing them to reduced-row-echelon-form to find the solution set.

Since there are infinitely many solutions, there must be at least 1 dependent variable. I figured that I would need to first find the equation for the line from the points of the solution, but I ended up with this:

(x-1)/2 = (y-1)/4 = (z-1)/-1
Showing that this line is the intersection of the planes given by (x-1)/2= (y-1)/4 and (x-1)/2= (z-1)/(-1) which are the same as 4(x-1)= 2(y-1) or 4x- 2y= 2 and -(x-1)= 2(z-1) or x+ 2z= 3. That is, those points satisfy 4x- 2y= 2 and x+ 2z= 3. That's your system of equations.

which only confused me more. Then I tried to formulate an augmented matrix to try and find the coefficients of the linear equations, but didn't get very far after reduction, and I realized that I was still missing the right hand side of the matrix:

[a 0b 2.5c ?]
[0a b -1.5c ?]

And this is where I stand. Any help is much appreciated.

1. What is reverse-engineering a system of linear equations using matrices?

Reverse-engineering a system of linear equations using matrices is the process of finding the original equations from a given set of solutions. This technique is often used in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

2. Why is reverse-engineering a system of linear equations important?

Reverse-engineering a system of linear equations is important because it allows us to understand how a system works and how it can be manipulated. It also helps us to solve complex problems and make predictions based on the given solutions.

3. What are the steps involved in reverse-engineering a system of linear equations using matrices?

The steps involved in reverse-engineering a system of linear equations using matrices include identifying the given solutions, creating a matrix with the coefficients of the equations, finding the inverse of the matrix, and multiplying it with the solution vector to obtain the original equations.

4. What are the applications of reverse-engineering a system of linear equations using matrices?

Reverse-engineering a system of linear equations has various applications in different fields. It is commonly used in designing and analyzing circuits, predicting chemical reactions, and creating computer algorithms. It is also helpful in solving optimization problems and modeling real-life scenarios.

5. What are some common challenges faced in reverse-engineering a system of linear equations using matrices?

Some of the common challenges faced in reverse-engineering a system of linear equations using matrices include dealing with incomplete or inaccurate data, finding the correct number of equations, and handling complex and large matrices. It also requires a good understanding of linear algebra and matrix operations.