Most interested in which feature?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the most wanted feature in this conversation is a spell-checker due to the high number of non-native English speakers on the forum. The second most desired feature is a science glossary, followed by a quiz system and personal weather. Some people are not interested in any of these features and prefer a more personalized skin for the forum.

• Study Groups

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Spell Check

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Personal Weather

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Quiz system (make and take)

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Science Glossary

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters

Physics news on Phys.org
I voted for Spell Check since it is so badly needed.

mmmmm. take'n bake.

Since there are so many members for whom English is not a first language, a spell check would be extremely useful.

I second Ivan on that.

Next in priority, I'd pick the science Glossary.

What's the quiz system thingy about ?

Since there are so many members for whom English is not a first language, a spell check would be extremely useful.

There is no need for a spell-checker. I'm assuming this is the type of spell-checker in which you can click a button, and it'll underline all your spelling mistakes? A lot of people won't bother to go back, change their mistakes, then have the forum spell-check it again - then do the same thing over.

Besides, some of us already have spell-checkers built into our browsers that are much more efficient. Safari's spell-check underlines mistakes on the spot while you type, and you can fix them with a simple right-click. IESpell is similar.

What's the quiz system thingy about ?

AFAIK, you can basically make a quiz in which other users on the forum can take.

Just like Greg's description says.

Personal weather would be the coolest feature. You have a perfect glossary on Merriam-Webster.com.

Well, I suppose a null vote is still a vote. I don't see much need for any of those suggestions. As has been pointed out, most people have the ability to spell-check, they just don't, or their spelling is so bad (we can generously assume it's because English is not their first language) that spell-check can't suggest anything useful. Besides, spell-check can't tell you if you have the right word, which is usually more important to clarity than a slightly mispelled one.

As for study groups and quizzes, I'm a bit beyond that stage of my life. I'm not sure how study groups would work here anyway. Would those be set up through a chat feature? Having led several study groups, I don't know how those would work when people aren't all in the same course covering the same material. I'm also a big fan of visual aids, so really don't know how that would work out here. But, like I said, I'm well past that stage of my life.

I already have personal weather on a number of other sites I visit, so really don't need it here too. Now, if it displayed a 5 day forecast without having to follow links, I might be interested. Most sites just display the current weather, which I can more accurately obtain by looking out the window.

A science glossary...hmmm...now that I've eliminated everything else, that sounds reasonable. I don't know how much I'd use it, but it seems like something that would be helpful for some people who get bogged down when limited understanding of technical terms prevents them from fully participating in a topic, especially if they have a LOT of questions of that nature that people get tired of answering them. I started out thinking that there's one of those in the back of every textbook, but I forget that this is the electronic age when people don't like the idea of dragging out a 1000 page text to look up a word, and not everyone has relevant textbooks on hand. So, I think I'm going to go check the science glossary option.

I voted for Science Glossary because when I occasionally post on the science based forums, I like to pretend I know what I'm talking about.

Even though I'm a very good speller. Spell check and Science glossary would be the two most important features.

:uhh: uhh, hi.. :smile:

I uhhh, wanted to make a suggestion :biggrin: I know I've mentioned it before, the board is getting so.. grey.. is there any chance we get to have personalized skins? :shy:

Dang, I found this thread too late! "Personal weather" would have been keen. I would have it thunderstorm every evening!

What is the purpose of identifying the most interested feature?

The purpose of identifying the most interested feature is to determine which aspect of a particular subject or concept is of greatest importance or relevance to a specific group or individual. This can help guide further research and development in that area, as well as inform decision-making processes.

How is the most interested feature determined?

The most interested feature is typically determined through surveys, experiments, or other forms of data collection and analysis. This can include asking individuals directly about their preferences and interests, or observing their behavior and reactions to different features.

Why is it important to know the most interested feature?

Knowing the most interested feature can provide valuable insight into the needs and wants of a target audience. This information can be used to tailor products, services, or messaging to better meet the expectations and desires of potential customers or users.

What factors can influence the most interested feature?

The most interested feature can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as personal preferences, cultural differences, and societal trends. It can also be impacted by external factors such as marketing and advertising strategies.

How can the knowledge of the most interested feature be applied?

The knowledge of the most interested feature can be applied in a number of ways, such as product development, market research, and targeted advertising. It can also be used to improve user experience and satisfaction, as well as inform future research and studies.