Determining atomic radius at home

In summary, a physics teacher demonstrated an experiment where they transferred a droplet of oil onto the surface of water and calculated the radius of a carbon atom using the volume and surface area of the oil patch. The experiment assumed that the oil spread into a layer one molecule thick and could estimate the size of one atom. The details of the experiment are currently unknown but the poster is hoping to find someone who can explain it or direct them to a helpful website.
p.tryon
I recall a physics teacher demonstrating an experiment where he transferred a droplet of oil to the surface of water and carried out some calculations to determine the radius of a carbon atom. I was hoping to replicate the experiement- However I forget the details.

Has anyone seen this experiement and could explain the details? And/or direct me to a useful website?

Thanks
Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
The experiment used an oil drop of known volume that was assumed to spread itself out on the surface of the water such that it formed a layer one molecule thick.
Measuring the radius of this (circular) oil patch, and assuming it is in the form of a cylinder, gives the "length" of that cylinder, and an estimate of the molecular size. (FRom volume = length times area of cross section)
If the molecule consists of, say, a chain of 12 carbon atoms, you can estimate the size of one atom.

Thanks. I have tried it but no luck so far... :-)

1. What is the definition of atomic radius?

The atomic radius is a measure of the size of an atom, specifically the distance from the nucleus to the outermost electron shell.

2. How can I determine atomic radius at home?

One way to determine atomic radius at home is by using a ruler and a periodic table. You can measure the distance between the nucleus and the outermost electron shell on the periodic table and convert it to actual length using a conversion factor.

3. Can I use household items to determine atomic radius?

Yes, you can use a ruler, a periodic table, and some simple calculations to determine atomic radius at home. However, for more accurate results, it is recommended to use more precise tools such as a micrometer or a computer simulation.

4. Is it possible to determine the atomic radius of all elements at home?

In theory, yes. However, some elements have extremely small atomic radii, making it difficult to accurately measure them at home. In addition, some elements may require specialized equipment or techniques to determine their atomic radius.

5. How does atomic radius affect the properties of an element?

Atomic radius affects many properties of an element, including its reactivity, melting and boiling points, and chemical bonding behavior. Generally, larger atomic radii result in lower reactivity and melting and boiling points, while smaller atomic radii lead to higher reactivity and stronger chemical bonds.