A box falls one metre and hits a womans head

• Thread starter graham tomo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Head
In summary: The woman experiences pain and injury after a fall at work, which she attributes to the box that hit her. She does not go to the doctor as recommended, but goes to a party instead. In the two years since the accident she has only told her solicitor about it. Her employer states they are insured against accidents, and that if the claim was legitimate they would have paid it off. Is it possible to get an indication of the force of impact in relation to the weight of the box?In summary, the weight of the box, the size and shape of the head, and the distance the box travelled before it impacted could not be accurately determined.
graham tomo
I need some scientific assistance. A woman at work had the misfortune of a box falling and hitting her head. Fortunately she was fine, the box was not heavy and she had no injuries. Two years later i have a solicitors letter demanding money for fictitious injuries.
Is it possible to get an indication of the force of impact in relation to the weight of the box?
The weight of the box could be 5 / 10 / 15 kg
The surface area of the base of the box that impacted with her head is 540mm x 400mm
The length of drop is one metre from a stationary position
The womans head is average size.
The box continued to fall to the floor after the impact with her head.
The contents of the box was items of clothing which would have been spread over the surface area of the base of the box. It seems to me that only a portion of the force of the falling box would impact on the head as the box would change direction and fall to the floor. Could anything like this be compared to the force of impact of a football hitting the head from a corner kick? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
graham tomo said:
Is it possible to get an indication of the force of impact in relation to the weight of the box?

Get an identical box, with identical contents, and repeat the accident a few dozen times.

Make measurements.

Totally pointless exercise.

A box falling on the head, at work, without the employer taking all posible preventative measures = a health and safety nightmare. It doesn't matter a jot if the box was filled with lead shot or feathers.

Owing to the fact that turning ones head slighty too fast can cause a human neck injury, any object falling on it (of any semi-substantial weight) can concevibly cause injury. Sucks to be you that there was someone around to take to court over it.

Last edited:
xxChrisxx said:
It doesn't matter a jot if the box was filled with lead shot or feathers.

It does if the injury she now has wasn't caused by the accident at all. :rolleyes:

tiny-tim said:
It does if the injury she now has wasn't caused by the accident at all. :rolleyes:

Indeed, and that's the only comeback he has. If this person didn't see a docter immediately afterwards (ok mabe not immediately but within a sensible time range) then that shows a lack of concern on her part.

Doing a measurement to show 'it couldn't have hit her hard' is a flimsy defence at best and non existent at worst. As 'not hard' may have caused some irreperable damage. Does't matter if it did or it didn't, but the perception that it could is enough.

And as an asside 5kg is not an insignificant weight to have hitting your head.

xxChrisxx said:
Totally pointless exercise.

Owing to the fact that turning ones head slighty too fast can cause a human neck injury, any object falling on it (of any semi-substantial weight) can concevibly cause injury.
Exactly what I was going to say. This is an indefensible position.

Fight it on grounds of why it took them two years, and whether they have sufficient documentation to prove the injuries were caused by this incident.

Perhaps I should give a better insight of the incident so I might get a little more sympathy. A young boy was throwing part filled boxes of clothing onto a first floor landing area. He told the lady to wait, as he threw the last box she took it upon herself to walk past, the box did not go up properly and came back down. She was immediately attended to by the first aider who did not give any treatment as she said she was fine. Being a caring company we suggested we run her to casualty to be on the safe side. She insisted she was fine and wanted to return to work. I asked her to take the rest of the day off and visit her doctor the following day. She took the day off but never went to the doctors, instead that night she attended the company Christmas party where I had laid on a free bar. After the party she went up town clubbing.

Two years later when her solicitor sent her for a doctors report and she said the box had caused her to bite her tongue, made her nose bleed, she suffered with headaches for twenty four hours and vomited shortly after the accident.

We are insured against accidents at work, if this woman had suffered in anyway I would have asked the insurance company to settle her claim, but I regard this claim as bordering on fraud. I have never a member of staff have an accident at work in fifteen years. I would really appreciate some help if it is possible.

graham tomo said:
Perhaps I should give a better insight of the incident so I might get a little more sympathy. A young boy was throwing part filled boxes of clothing onto a first floor landing area. He told the lady to wait, as he threw the last box she took it upon herself to walk past, the box did not go up properly and came back down. She was immediately attended to by the first aider who did not give any treatment as she said she was fine. Being a caring company we suggested we run her to casualty to be on the safe side. She insisted she was fine and wanted to return to work. I asked her to take the rest of the day off and visit her doctor the following day. She took the day off but never went to the doctors, instead that night she attended the company Christmas party where I had laid on a free bar. After the party she went up town clubbing.

Two years later when her solicitor sent her for a doctors report and she said the box had caused her to bite her tongue, made her nose bleed, she suffered with headaches for twenty four hours and vomited shortly after the accident.

We are insured against accidents at work, if this woman had suffered in anyway I would have asked the insurance company to settle her claim, but I regard this claim as bordering on fraud. I have never a member of staff have an accident at work in fifteen years. I would really appreciate some help if it is possible.

Sounds like that's your defense then.

The woman had an existing medical problem which she is stating has been amplified by the box incident. She told the examining Doctor that the box was very heavy.
The court will have to decide on two questions
1. Having been told not to enter a particular area was she responsible for the accident? If the answer is no because the verbal method of telling her to stay out of the area was inadequate then the court would have to decide on the next question
2. Would this falling box have amplified her existing complaint?
To reduce costs I am trying to fight this myself but her no win no fee solicitors are estimating their costs at 11500 even though they are only attemping to claim between 3000 to 5000 for the girl.
I was hoping I could demonstrate that if the box weighed say 10kg which was distributed over a large surface area then it seems sense to me that not all that weight would impact on the head. Having said that, that does not account for increased force from the fall of 1 metre.
I am allowed to ask the doctor questions in writing before the case goes to court, bare in mind that his report is based entirely on what she told him and that it is the truth.
Maybe if the doctor thought the impact was not what he first thought then his report could get amended

graham tomo said:
The woman had an existing medical problem which she is stating has been amplified by the box incident. She told the examining Doctor that the box was very heavy.
The court will have to decide on two questions
1. Having been told not to enter a particular area was she responsible for the accident? If the answer is no because the verbal method of telling her to stay out of the area was inadequate then the court would have to decide on the next question
2. Would this falling box have amplified her existing complaint?
To reduce costs I am trying to fight this myself but her no win no fee solicitors are estimating their costs at 11500 even though they are only attemping to claim between 3000 to 5000 for the girl.
I was hoping I could demonstrate that if the box weighed say 10kg which was distributed over a large surface area then it seems sense to me that not all that weight would impact on the head. Having said that, that does not account for increased force from the fall of 1 metre.
I am allowed to ask the doctor questions in writing before the case goes to court, bare in mind that his report is based entirely on what she told him and that it is the truth.
Maybe if the doctor thought the impact was not what he first thought then his report could get amended

If you allow the case to go to a level of 'would the box have hurt her', you are opening the door to the prosecution using it for their own purposes. And they will win that point; they automatically have the benefit of the doubt.

You might make a better case by attempting to get the weight of the box dismissed as irrelevant, thereby preemptively poking a hole in the prosecution's case.

You could go all hyperbolic on their butts, saying the equivalent of "Look, it wouldn't matter if it were a piano that fell - she shouldn't have been there. It's a warehouse environment, and she was told to avoid the area. Unless you think we should get out of the clothing industry and sell only feathers and nerfballs..."

1. What is the impact force of a box falling one metre and hitting a woman's head?

The impact force of a falling object is determined by its mass and velocity at the time of impact. In this scenario, the mass of the box and the height from which it falls would need to be known in order to calculate the impact force. Other factors such as air resistance and the material of the box may also affect the impact force.

2. Can a box falling one metre cause serious injury to a woman's head?

Yes, depending on the weight and material of the box, a fall from one metre can cause serious injury to a person's head. The force of impact can cause concussions, skull fractures, and other head injuries.

3. How can the impact of a falling box be minimized?

The impact of a falling box can be minimized by using proper storage techniques, such as stacking boxes securely and evenly. It is also important to be cautious when handling boxes and to avoid placing them on unstable surfaces. In addition, using protective gear, such as hard hats, can help reduce the impact of a falling object.

4. What safety precautions should be taken to prevent a box from falling and hitting someone's head?

To prevent a box from falling and causing injury, it is important to follow proper storage and handling procedures. This includes ensuring that boxes are stacked securely, using appropriate equipment (e.g. ladders) to reach high shelves, and being cautious when handling boxes. Signs and warnings should also be displayed in areas where falling objects may be a hazard.

5. What should be done if a box does fall and hit someone's head?

If someone is struck by a falling box, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. Even if the person does not experience any immediate symptoms, they may have suffered a head injury that could have long-term effects. It is also important to report the incident and review safety protocols to prevent similar accidents in the future.