Maximum temp possible with a constant heat source?

In summary, the conversation discusses the experience of attending a show in a small basement room where the heat and humidity can be overwhelming. The speaker notes that the temperature may not have been as high as it felt, but rather it was the humidity that made it seem so hot. They also mention that the main source of heat is human bodies and that it is impossible for the surrounding air temperature to rise above that source. The conversation ends with a discussion about the body's ability to regulate its temperature and whether it can reach a point where even sweating is not enough. The consensus is that the body temperature can rise above 100F, but it is unlikely to reach a point where it is dangerous in a room full of people.
DaleSwanson
About a month ago I went to a show in a rather small basement room. I've been there several times and it is usually very hot in there with all the people packed in. You will sweat profusely simply standing there. This last time I was with some people who hadn't been there before and found the heat quite surprising. Later though, I began to think about the situation and it seemed to me that the temperature couldn't have been that high. Rather, it was the 100% humidity that made it seem so hot. Upon explaining this idea they expressed doubt that the temperature wasn't above 100F.

My logic is this. The main source of heat is human bodies. The human body couldn't sustain a temperature significantly above 100F for a long period of time. It is impossible for the surrounding air temperature to rise above the source of the heat.

Can anyone see any flaws in that reasoning?

Science news on Phys.org
No flaws - you are correct.

Yup.

Unless some idiot left the heating on...
Take a thermometer next time.

I think I disagree in this.
If you wear a big jacket designed for really cold weather, but you're in your living room at 25C, according to what your thoughts are, the temperature of your body won't raise. The cells produce heat, which needs to be dissipated in order to maintain the body at its normal temp. But being very insulated keeps you from dissipating the heat, and your body starts to sweat to dissipate more heat, but shouldn't there be a point that even sweating a lot woulnd't be enough to maintain the temperature?

Yes, your body temperature will rise above 100F if it can't adequately cool itself. The highest it can go is about 105F before you die. Even if the room was perfectly insulated, people would be passing out before the temperature of the room got above 100F.

1. What is the maximum temperature that can be achieved with a constant heat source?

The maximum temperature that can be achieved with a constant heat source depends on several factors, including the type of heat source, the material being heated, and the surrounding environment. In general, the theoretical maximum temperature is known as the absolute hot temperature, which is approximately 1.416 x 10^32 Kelvin. However, in practical terms, temperatures much lower than this can be achieved with a constant heat source.

2. Can the maximum temperature be increased by increasing the intensity of the heat source?

Yes, increasing the intensity of the heat source can result in a higher maximum temperature. This is because a greater amount of energy is being transferred to the material, causing it to heat up more quickly and potentially reach a higher temperature. However, there are limits to how much the temperature can be increased, as other factors such as heat capacity and melting point of the material can also play a role.

3. Is there a limit to how high the maximum temperature can be with a constant heat source?

Yes, there is a limit to how high the maximum temperature can be with a constant heat source. This is due to the laws of thermodynamics, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred. Therefore, there is a limit to how much energy can be transferred to a material, and thus a limit to how high the temperature can go.

4. How does the type of heat source affect the maximum temperature that can be achieved?

The type of heat source can greatly affect the maximum temperature that can be achieved. For example, a flame from a gas burner may be able to reach a higher temperature than a heating element in an electric stove. This is because different heat sources have different levels of intensity and efficiency in transferring energy to the material being heated.

5. Can the maximum temperature be maintained indefinitely with a constant heat source?

No, the maximum temperature cannot be maintained indefinitely with a constant heat source. Eventually, the material will reach thermal equilibrium with its surroundings, meaning that it will no longer be able to absorb any more heat energy. At this point, the temperature will stabilize and remain constant, rather than continuing to increase.