Alpha particle trajectories from Li disintegration

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of alpha particles formed when a proton fuses with lithium. The setup of Cockroft and Walton shows the lithium at a 45 degree angle and the scintillation detector off to the side. It is mentioned that the alignment of the lithium target is for observing the scintillation while keeping the instrumentation out of the beam, and the total number of reactions is affected by the thickness and orientation of the target. The question is posed whether the alpha particle trajectories would be different if the lithium foil was placed perpendicular to the proton stream.
HarryTick
When a proton is fused with lithium and two alpha particles are formed, how do you know which direction they'll go. I thought they would take roughly the same path as the accelerated proton, but in the explanations of Cockroft and Walton's setup, they show the lithium at a 45 degree angle and the scintillation detector off to the side. http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1951/cockcroft-lecture.pdf" If a piece of lithium foil was placed perpendicular to the proton stream, would the alpha particle trajectories be different?

Please bear with me, I am an environmental chemist, not a physicist.

Edit: I can't believe I posted this in the wrong subforum. I meant to post this in the high energy physics section. Can a mod please move this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The alignment of the Li target is simply for observing the scintillation while keeping the instrumentation out of the beam, and in this case the axis of the detectors is perpendicular to the beam. The total number of reactions would be a function of the thickness and to some extent the orientation of the target.

Is there a mod that can move this to the appropriate forum, or should I just edit my post to nothingness and post it in the proper forum?

1. What is the significance of studying alpha particle trajectories from Li disintegration?

Studying alpha particle trajectories from Li disintegration can provide valuable insights into the structure and behavior of atomic nuclei, as well as the fundamental forces that govern them. Additionally, this research can have practical applications in fields such as nuclear energy and medicine.

2. How are alpha particles produced from Li disintegration?

Alpha particles are produced when a lithium nucleus undergoes radioactive decay, also known as disintegration. During this process, the nucleus emits an alpha particle, which is composed of two protons and two neutrons.

3. What is the trajectory of an alpha particle from Li disintegration?

The trajectory of an alpha particle from Li disintegration is dependent on the energy and direction in which it is emitted from the nucleus. However, in general, the alpha particle will travel in a straight line until it interacts with another particle or is absorbed by matter.

4. How do scientists study alpha particle trajectories from Li disintegration?

Scientists use various experimental techniques, such as particle accelerators and detectors, to study alpha particle trajectories from Li disintegration. These techniques allow them to measure the energy, direction, and other properties of the alpha particles.

5. What can we learn from studying the trajectories of alpha particles from Li disintegration?

By studying the trajectories of alpha particles from Li disintegration, scientists can gain a better understanding of the structure and behavior of atomic nuclei. This can help us understand the properties of matter and the universe on a fundamental level, as well as inform technological advancements in fields such as nuclear energy and medicine.