Finding Stationary Points in a Rational Function

• Thread starter HeyHow!
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding stationary points for the equation f(x) = 1/(x+3) + 1/(x-1). The derivative is found to be -1/(x+3)^2 -1/(x-1)^2 and set equal to 0 to find the stationary point. However, after simplifying, it is found that there is no real solution. The conversation then discusses looking at the second derivative, f'', to find the turning point, which is found to be at x = -1. The function is always decreasing and has three continuous sections.
HeyHow!
i have been give the equation

f(x) = 1/(x+3) + 1/(x-1)

i am trying to find the stationary points. so

f '(x) = -1/(x+3)^2 -1/(x-1)^2

f '(x) = 0 for stationary point

then when i simplified down i get 2x^2+4x+5 = 0, which is undefinable

i looked at the derivative on the graph and it looks like it has a turning point at (-1,0).

please help, either i have made an easy mistake or somethings wrong! :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, looks like the derivative has a "turning point" around x = -1. However, that doesn't mean that the derivative IS zero at that point, it means that the derivative of the derivative is zero there. If you wanted to x such that f'(x) = 0, you'd look for the places where f'(x) crosses the x-axis (which, in this case, it doesn't appear to do).

Shouldn't it be 2x^2 + 4x + 10 =0. this has no real solution so the function is always increasing.

You got to look at the second derivative (f'') of this function and solve f'' = 0. Then you will get the x-coördinate of the turning point. Substituting this x-value into f(x) yields the y-value.

regards
marlon

marlon:
The function is always decreasing, not increasing!
The function doesn't have any stationary points.
The function has three continuous sections , each of them decreasing; the intervals where the function is defined are:
[tex]-\infty<{x}<{-3},-3<{x}<{1},1<x<\infty[/tex]

arildno said:
marlon:
The function is always decreasing, not increasing!

yes that is correct. Forgot the minus sign in the first derivative...

Thanks for the correction.

regards
marlon

1. What is "Basic maths bloody problem"?

"Basic maths bloody problem" is a phrase used to describe a basic mathematical problem that someone may be struggling with.

2. What types of basic maths problems fall under this category?

Examples of basic maths problems that fall under this category include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division problems with single or multi-digit numbers.

3. How can I improve my skills in solving basic maths bloody problems?

One way to improve your skills in solving basic maths bloody problems is to practice regularly and consistently. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources and tools to supplement your learning.

4. Why do some people struggle with basic maths bloody problems?

There could be various reasons why someone may struggle with basic maths bloody problems. It could be due to a lack of understanding of fundamental mathematical concepts, a fear of numbers, or a lack of practice and repetition.

5. How important is it to be able to solve basic maths bloody problems?

Being able to solve basic maths bloody problems is essential as it forms the foundations of more advanced mathematical concepts and skills. It is also useful in everyday life, such as calculating expenses, understanding measurements, and making informed decisions based on numerical data.