I missed International Bacon Day

In summary, this happens when people accidentally eat foods with glutamates. The ingredients in the food may cause anaphylactic shock.
turbo
Gold Member
How does this happen?! I love bacon, but instead of making a nice home-made pizza featuring bacon yesterday, I opted for hamburg. Wah!

Physics news on Phys.org
:eek:

I wasn't even aware of it! And here I sit while 2 packs of bacon await me on my kitchen counter. Oh well, better late than never.

I missed the memo on that one as well! We held a small party Saturday and it could have been bacon-themed! :smile:

I declare today "official eat yer bacon anyway day".

I also have a pound of bacon which I will glady honor on this most important of days.

mmm... bacon! :!)

Doc Al said:
mmm... bacon! :!)
bacon wrapped sardines!

Evo said:
bacon wrapped sardines!
Oh, you tease, you!

turbo-1 said:
How does this happen?! I love bacon, but instead of making a nice home-made pizza featuring bacon yesterday, I opted for hamburg. Wah!

I don't see the problem here...just load up your burger with bacon. Problem solved.

lisab said:
I don't see the problem here...just load up your burger with bacon. Problem solved.

I made the mistake recently of trying Carl's Junior's bacon-guacamole burger. Mmmmmmm.

I almost never eat fast food, but I've had to make a few trips back for that one. Even worse, if it's late, it's the only thing in town that's open, besides Sharis.

They come with a discount coupon for your first heart bypass surgery.

I have discovered that bacon and guacamole together is to die for good. Now I also want to try the plum thing too. Yes, I am willing to die for bacon more then once.

I love my Bacon Salt.
http://www.jdfoods.net/products/baconsalt.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:
I love my Bacon Salt.
http://www.jdfoods.net/products/baconsalt.php [Broken]
I've never heard of that; it isn't available here. I am, however, one of only 3 people that I know of who puts salt on bacon.One of the others is a member of the Sisterhood... :uhh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bacon salt sounds like a good idea, but it would put me into the ER in a heartbeat, if not the morgue.

maltodestrin
monosodium glutamate
hydrolyzed corn and soy proteins
autolyzed yeast extract

All are sources of free glutamates that ensure anaphylactic shock for me. Some of the other ingredients "spices" "natural hickory smoke flavor" "natural butter flavor" could be dicey, too. Most times, "natural flavor" of any description involves processes that produce free glutamates by boiling process by-products in acid, concentrating the resultant extract, and neutralizing with caustic to get back to a normal pH. The additive industry is largely unregulated in the US. At least people get a heads-up when products are made in plants that process peanuts and other allergens.

Edit: back to your regularly-scheduled bacon.

What is International Bacon Day?

International Bacon Day is a celebration of all things bacon that takes place on the Saturday before Labor Day every year. It is a day for people to come together and enjoy bacon in its many forms.

Why did I miss International Bacon Day?

There could be a variety of reasons why you missed International Bacon Day. Perhaps you were not aware of the holiday, or you had other commitments that prevented you from participating. But don't worry, there's always next year!

How long has International Bacon Day been celebrated?

The first International Bacon Day was celebrated in 2000 in Bedford, Massachusetts. It has since gained popularity and is now celebrated in many countries around the world.

What are some ways to celebrate International Bacon Day?

There are many ways to celebrate International Bacon Day, including cooking up your favorite bacon dishes, attending bacon-themed events, or simply indulging in some delicious bacon treats. The possibilities are endless!

Is there a reason why International Bacon Day is celebrated on the Saturday before Labor Day?

The reason for this date is not entirely clear, but it is speculated that it was chosen because Labor Day weekend is often associated with barbecues and gatherings, making it the perfect time to celebrate with friends and family over some delicious bacon.