Proof: Quadratic Nth Term of Sequence Indicates Arithmetic Progression

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the statement "If the nth term of a sequence is a quadratic expression in n, then the sequence is an A.P." is correct. The participants provide examples and counterexamples to support their arguments, and ultimately conclude that the statement is not always true. They also discuss a related statement about the sum of a sequence being a quadratic function of n.
zorro

Homework Statement

Is this statement correct?

If the nth term of a sequence is a quadratic expression in n, then the sequence is an A.P.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Take arbitrary t(n)=n^2-2n-2
I substituted 1,2,3 in the above expression and noted the c.d.
It is not constant.
But the book says that this statement is correct.
Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
The book's statement doesn't seem correct to me. The simplest sequence that fits the description is an = {n2} = {1, 4, 9, 16, ..., n2, ...} This is definitely not an arithmetic sequence for the reason you stated - the difference between pairs of successive terms is not constant.

Thanks!

If the terms of a sequence are from a quadratic formula, then the difference between the nth and (n-1)st terms form an arithmetic progression.

For example if the sequence is 1,4,9,16,25,...

then the differences are

4-1, 9-4, 16-9, 25-16,...

That might be what they meant to refer to

It is true only in case on n^2 (may be in some other cases too).
But if you take an expression like n^2 +2n-1, then Tn- T(n-1)=2n is not independent of n i.e. it is not a constant.

The sequence whose nth term is 2n is an arithmetic progression

You did not get me. In my expression, 2n is the difference between two consecutive terms of the sequence. It is not the nth term.
If you take nth term of the sequence as 2n, it violates the question as it is not a quadratic expression.

What I said is that the sequence whose nth term is the difference between consecutive terms of the quadratic sequence is an arithmetic progression. So for your example, the nth term of the sequence I'm describing is T(n)-T(n-1), and this new sequence is an arithmetic progression

If the sum (form i= 1 to n) of a sequence of numbers is a quadratic function of n, then the sequence is arthmetic.

Can you give an example?

HallsofIvy said:
If the sum (form i= 1 to n) of a sequence of numbers is a quadratic function of n, then the sequence is arthmetic.

Abdul Quadeer said:
Can you give an example?
The sum of the first n integers.
[tex]\sum_{k= 1}^n k = \frac{n(n + 1)}{2}[/tex]

Thanks!

What is the Nth term of a sequence?

The Nth term of a sequence is the formula or rule used to calculate the value of the term at position N in the sequence.

How do you find the Nth term of a sequence?

To find the Nth term of a sequence, you first need to identify the pattern or rule of the sequence. This can be done by looking at the difference between consecutive terms or by identifying a common ratio. Once the pattern is identified, you can use it to write an expression for the Nth term and then plug in the value of N to find the specific term.

What is the formula for finding the Nth term of an arithmetic sequence?

The formula for finding the Nth term of an arithmetic sequence is: an = a1 + (n - 1)d, where an represents the Nth term, a1 is the first term, and d is the common difference between consecutive terms.

What is the formula for finding the Nth term of a geometric sequence?

The formula for finding the Nth term of a geometric sequence is: an = a1rn-1, where an represents the Nth term, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio between consecutive terms.

How can the Nth term of a sequence be used in real life?

The Nth term of a sequence can be used in real life to predict future values or to find missing values in a pattern. For example, if a company's profits have been increasing by a fixed amount every year, the Nth term can be used to predict the profit for a future year. In mathematics and science, the Nth term can also be used to find the general formula for a sequence, which can then be applied to solve more complex problems.