Finite difference method, coupled wave equations, chickens & eggs

In summary: This approach is known as the "shooting method" and is commonly used in finite difference methods. In summary, in order to handle the boundary conditions at x=0 and x=L, you must alternate between solving for V and I and using the boundary conditions to relate them, known as the shooting method.
apchar
I'm reading a book (Numerical Techniques in Electromagnetics by Sadiku) & just finished the section on finite difference methods. As what I thought would be an easy exercise, I tried to apply what I'd learned to the telegraphers equations that describe the voltage, V(x, t), and current, I(x, t), on a transmission line with some realistic (meaning ugly) boundary conditions:
Picture: A voltage source Vg, a resistor Rg, a long transmission line of length L with characteristic impedance Z0, and a load resistor RL.

The equations are 2 coupled (by the boundary conditions) wave equations:

[tex]
\frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial t^2} = u^2 \frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial x^2}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{\partial^2 I}{\partial t^2} = u^2 \frac{\partial^2 I}{\partial x^2}
[/tex]

Where u is the velocity of propagation and 0 < x < L, t > 0
The boundary & initial conditions are
[tex]
V(0, 0) = V_g(0) \frac{Z_0}{Z_0 + R_g}
[/tex]

[tex]
I(0, 0) = V_g(0) \frac{1}{Z_0 + R_g}
[/tex]

[tex]
V(0, t) = V_g(t) - R_g I(0, t)
[/tex]

[tex]
V(L, t) = R_L I(L, t)
[/tex]

V(x, 0) = I(x, 0) = 0 for x>0 & everything(t<0) = 0
RL, Rg, & Z0 are real positive constants. Vg(t) is a known function of time only.
It's those last 2 boundary conditions that are confounding me.

So I turn each into a difference equations using the centralized 2nd order approximation

[tex]
\frac{V(i, j+1) - 2 V(i, j) + V(i, j-1)}{\Delta t^2} = u^2 \frac{V(i+1, j) - 2 V(i, j) + V(i-1, j)}{\Delta x^2}
[/tex]

same for I. I solve for V(i, j+1) & I(i, j+1). With j (time) in my outer loop & i (x) in my inner loop I start stepping across x for each time t. Everything is fine until I reach that last boundary condition. I have a chicken & egg problem. First impulse is to step V forward and calculate I or vice versa. But neither will give me the right answer. I'm going to have the same problem at x=0 after that first step.
The problem is easy if RL = Rg = 0. I can just crank the the equation for V since V(L, t) = 0 is a nice fixed condition.
Likewise it works fine for RL=infinity & Rg = 0. I can crank the equation for I.
It's also works for RL = Rg = Z0.
The fact that it works in these 3 situations leads me to believe it can work for others.

But, for RL & Rg > 0 but not = Z0, how do I handle those two boundary conditions that relate V & I at x=0 and x=L?

I know there are other (& probably better) ways to solve this, even analytically or just intuitively. But I need the practice with FD.

Thanks,
Apchar

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution to this problem lies in the fact that V and I are related by the boundary conditions. You need to use the boundary condition at x=0 (V(0, t) = Vg(t) - Rg I(0, t)) in order to calculate I(0, t). Then, you can use the boundary condition at x=L (V(L, t) = R_L I(L, t)) in order to calculate V(L, t). By alternating between solving for V and I, and using the boundary conditions to relate them, you can iteratively solve for V and I across the entire domain.

1. What is the Finite Difference Method?

The Finite Difference Method is a numerical technique used to solve differential equations by approximating the derivatives of the solution at discrete points. It is commonly used in various scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How are Coupled Wave Equations related to the Finite Difference Method?

Coupled Wave Equations are a type of differential equation that describes the behavior of two or more interacting waves. The Finite Difference Method can be used to solve these equations by discretizing the spatial and temporal domains and approximating the derivatives of the wave amplitudes at each point.

3. How do Chickens and Eggs relate to the Finite Difference Method and Coupled Wave Equations?

This analogy is often used to explain the concept of cause and effect in scientific models. In the case of the Finite Difference Method and Coupled Wave Equations, the chickens represent the initial conditions or inputs, while the eggs represent the resulting outputs or solutions.

4. What are the applications of the Finite Difference Method and Coupled Wave Equations?

The Finite Difference Method and Coupled Wave Equations have a wide range of applications, including modeling electromagnetic waves in optics, simulating fluid flow in engineering, and predicting seismic activity in geophysics. They are also used in computer graphics and animation for realistic rendering of wave phenomena.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Finite Difference Method and Coupled Wave Equations?

While the Finite Difference Method and Coupled Wave Equations are powerful numerical tools, they do have some limitations. They may not provide accurate solutions for complex or highly nonlinear systems, and the accuracy of the solutions can be affected by the size of the discretization intervals used. Additionally, the computational cost can be high for large and multidimensional problems.