How to calculate this integral for harmonic function?

In summary, the limits of integration for a harmonic function integral are typically determined by the given boundaries of the function. The general process for calculating an integral for a harmonic function involves identifying the function and its boundaries, determining the limits of integration, applying any necessary transformation or substitution, and evaluating the integral using appropriate integration techniques. There are special cases or exceptions that may arise when calculating integrals for harmonic functions, such as functions with undefined or discontinuous points, singularities, or complex-valued functions. To check the accuracy of a calculated integral, one can verify that it satisfies the fundamental theorem of calculus or compare it to known solutions for similar functions.
kakarotyjn
I was asked to seek for a harmonic function u(x,y) in the 2-dimention disk whoes boundry condition is [tex]u\mid_C=A\cos(\phi)[/tex],the I need to calculate the integral [tex]u(\rho_0,\theta_0)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{(R^2-\rho_0^2)A\cos(\theta)}{R^2-2R\rho_0\cos{(\theta-\theta_0)}+\rho^2}d\theta[/tex],but I don't know how to calculate.

Thank for any ideas:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
With appropriate changes in coefficients, it is possible to transform the integral to the next know integral :

Attachments

• Definite Integral.JPG
    Definite Integral.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:

1. How do I determine the limits of integration for a harmonic function integral?

The limits of integration for a harmonic function integral are typically determined by the given boundaries of the function. For example, if the function is defined on the interval [a,b], then the limits of integration would be a and b.

2. What is the general process for calculating an integral for a harmonic function?

The general process for calculating an integral for a harmonic function involves first identifying the function and its boundaries, determining the limits of integration, applying any necessary transformation or substitution, and then evaluating the integral using integration techniques.

3. Can I use any integration technique for calculating an integral for a harmonic function?

Yes, you can use any integration technique that is appropriate for the given function. Common techniques include u-substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution.

4. Are there any special cases or exceptions when calculating integrals for harmonic functions?

Yes, there are certain special cases or exceptions that may arise when calculating integrals for harmonic functions. These can include functions with undefined or discontinuous points, singularities, or complex-valued functions.

5. How do I know if my calculated integral for a harmonic function is correct?

You can check the accuracy of your calculated integral by verifying that it satisfies the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the derivative of the integral of a function is equal to the original function. You can also use numerical methods or compare your result to known solutions for similar functions.