Finding the harmonic function of a function?

In summary: The harmonic function is given in appendix E of the book. You should be able to find it by using the fundamental period as the base period.
YeeHaa
Hello everyone,

Since I needed some place to ask my question, I ended up here. I sure hope you can help me :).

I'm "completely" new to Signals & Systems, and although I'm new to it, I already have loads of assignments I need to make (note this is NOT homework!, they are to make me understand S&S..., if this is interpreted as HW, my apalogies). The problem is I don't really understand how some of the formulas work or what steps I need to take...

The book I'm using: Signals & Systems by M.J. Roberts

The question:

Given : The function t(u(t-2) - u(t-5)) is periodically expanded with period 9.

Find the harmonic function, using the fundamental period as base period.
The formule that I'm supposed to use is:
complexCoefficients.jpg

I could also find this harmonic function by using the appendix E in the book (second question).

My questions:
Graphical expression: I know the function exists out of a substraction of two unit step functions, multiplied with "t"? I'm not sure how to picture the function in total?

Could anyone give me a head start, or help me explain how I integrate this function in the formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
T = 9. Your graph is identical to f(t) = t between 2 and 5 and zero elsewhere on the interval (0,9). Then extended periodically. So break your integral from 0 to 9 into three parts, two of which are very easy.

Then I get this as my function:

[PLAIN]http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/5808/function.jpg

Is this solution done the right way? I have the feeling I messed up somewhere...

[PLAIN]http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/2446/function2.png

If it is right, do I just let k be a chosen integer?

Thanks for your help so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't check all your steps. But you do have the function right and the integral set up correctly. And it does look like you dropped an fF along the way.

I'm not an EE so am unfamiliar with Signals & Systems. And I'm guessing that what you refer to as the "harmonic function" is what I would call the Fourier Series.

Anyway, barring other arithmetic mistakes, it looks good to me.

The formula is a formula given in the section 'Fourier series', so I would presume that is correct.

My question really was if the arithmetic was correct? The fF is (1/9), and i integrated that.

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks.

Assuming the integral output is correct, I'm not sure what to do with X[k] afterwards so I can find the harmonic of the function?

What is a harmonic function?

A harmonic function is a type of function in mathematics that satisfies the Laplace equation, which is a second-order partial differential equation. In simpler terms, it is a function whose second derivatives with respect to all its independent variables are equal to zero, resulting in a smooth and well-behaved function.

Why is it important to find the harmonic function of a function?

Finding the harmonic function of a function is important because it allows us to better understand and analyze the behavior of the function. It also helps us to solve various physical and engineering problems, as harmonic functions have many practical applications in fields such as electromagnetics, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer.

How do you find the harmonic function of a function?

To find the harmonic function of a function, we need to first determine if the function satisfies the Laplace equation. If it does, then we can use various techniques such as separation of variables, method of images, or the integral transform method to solve for the harmonic function. These techniques involve manipulating the function and its boundary conditions to obtain the desired solution.

What are some common examples of harmonic functions?

Some common examples of harmonic functions include the electric potential in a region with no charge, the temperature distribution in a steady-state heat conduction problem, and the fluid velocity potential in an irrotational and incompressible flow. Other examples include the gravitational potential in a region with no mass and the magnetic potential in a region with no current.

Are there any limitations to finding the harmonic function of a function?

Yes, there are some limitations to finding the harmonic function of a function. One limitation is that the function must satisfy the Laplace equation, which may not always be the case. Additionally, in some cases, the boundary conditions may be too complex to solve for the harmonic function analytically, and numerical methods may be required instead. Furthermore, the techniques used to find the harmonic function may be limited by the complexity of the function and its boundary conditions.