Curve Sketching, How to get the Function?

In summary, the person is asking for clarification on how to determine the function of a curve. They mention being able to sketch curves from functions, but are unsure about finding the function from a curve. The response explains that this is a common issue when working with data points and suggests using an appropriate type of function with undetermined coefficients to find the equation. It also mentions the need for axes in order to have numerical values to work with.
Dragonetti
Hi,
I have a question regarding curve sketching.

I am fairly competent in sketching curves from a function, i.e. x2+2x, etc.

But how would I go about getting the function of a curve?

Lets say I sketched a freehand curve ,
Would I have to draw a set of axes onto the curve and then take coordinates at certain points, Or is there an easier way, using differentiation maybe?

Thanks
Dominic

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That is, in fact, a crucial question- any time a scientist, chemist, engineer, etc. does experiments, he/she gets "data points" which could be used to sketch a curve in the appropriate coordinate system.

However, given any finite number of data points, there exist an infinite number of functions that will give those points. Typically what you must do is assume some appropriate kind of function (polynomial, exponential, trig, etc.) with undetermined coefficients. The put the x and y values of your graph into that formula to get equations to solve for the coefficients.

Yes, you certainy would have to set up axes in order to have numerical values to work with. A "curve" alone does not have numerical values and does not define any function, which is all about numerical values.

1. What is curve sketching?

Curve sketching is the process of graphing a function to visualize its shape and behavior. It involves identifying important features such as intercepts, asymptotes, and relative extrema.

2. Why is curve sketching important?

Curve sketching is important because it allows us to better understand and analyze functions. It can also help us make predictions and solve problems related to the function.

3. How do I sketch a curve for a given function?

To sketch a curve for a given function, you can follow these steps:1. Identify the domain and range of the function.2. Find the intercepts by setting the function equal to zero.3. Determine the behavior of the function at the edges of the domain.4. Find any asymptotes.5. Use the first and second derivatives to find relative extrema and inflection points.6. Plot all the points and draw a smooth curve passing through them.

4. What are some common mistakes when sketching a curve?

Some common mistakes when sketching a curve include:- Not identifying the domain and range correctly.- Forgetting to check for asymptotes.- Incorrectly identifying relative extrema and inflection points.- Not drawing a smooth curve through all the plotted points.- Not labeling the axes and including a title for the graph.

5. Are there any tools or resources that can help with curve sketching?

Yes, there are many tools and resources available to help with curve sketching, such as graphing calculators, online graphing tools, and textbooks. Additionally, there are many tutorials and guides available online that can provide step-by-step instructions and examples for different types of functions.