What is the Force on a Current Loop in a Magnetic Field?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving parallel wires carrying currents and the equation to find the force between them. The equations and diagrams provided are used to calculate the force per unit length between the wires. The final solution is determined to be 4.74 x 10-5N away from the wire.
james11223

Homework Statement

Here is the problem and the picture that goes along with it. I am really stuck because our teacher never explained a problem like this to us before. Any help is appreciated! THank you so much

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/229022_113377112081455_100002275016913_125327_6984938_n.jpg [Broken]

Homework Equations

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here are the equations that I was given

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/223417_113388105413689_100002275016913_125390_5418139_n.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, in your formulas, use

[tex]
F = BI l \sin\theta
[/tex]

[tex]
B_{wire}=\frac{\mu_0I}{2\pi r}
[/tex]
to find out the force per unit length b/w two infinite parallel wires carrying currents [tex]I_1, I_2[/tex]. Can you do that?

Last edited:
THank you so much!

Sorry I just realized... irdg what you meant
@praharmitra...

sorry can you explain a little bit more

Ok, what I want you to do is find the force per unit length b/w a pair of infinite wires separated at a distance r. Here's what you do.

You have one wire carrying current [itex]I_1[/itex]. What magnetic field does it produce at a distance r from itself?

Now the second wire carrying current [itex]I_2[/itex], is in the presence of the magnetic field you calculated above. Therefore, what is the force per unit length on this wire?

That is your answer for the force b/w two wires.

Would you do it like this:??

Fnet = Fnear - Ffar = (µoI1I2)(ℓnear)/(2πdnear) - (µoI1I2)(ℓfar)/(2πdfar) = (µoI1I2ℓ)/(2π) * (1/dnear - 1/dfar) = [(4π x 10-7T·m/A) (2A)(3A)(6m)]/(2π) * [1/1 - 1/3] = 4.74 x 10-5N away from the wire

doest that make sense? llol

Thank you so much for all the help guys!

yes, that is correct yes.

1. What is a force on a current loop?

A force on a current loop is a physical phenomenon that occurs when an electric current flows through a loop of wire. The force is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field produced by the current and the magnetic field of another object, such as a permanent magnet.

2. How is the force on a current loop calculated?

The force on a current loop is calculated using the formula F = I * l * B * sinθ, where F is the force, I is the current, l is the length of the loop, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the loop's plane.

3. What factors affect the force on a current loop?

The force on a current loop is affected by several factors, including the strength of the current, the size and orientation of the loop, and the strength and direction of the external magnetic field.

4. What is the direction of the force on a current loop?

The direction of the force on a current loop can be determined using the right-hand rule. If the fingers of your right hand point in the direction of the current, and your thumb points in the direction of the external magnetic field, then your palm will face in the direction of the force.

5. What are the practical applications of the force on a current loop?

The force on a current loop has many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and speakers. It is also used in devices such as galvanometers and current meters to measure the strength of electric currents.