Energy in waves (Amplitude and Frequency)

In summary, mechanical waves involve energy that is proportional to amplitude^2 and can be represented by the equation E=kA^2, where k is a constant. The constant k can be found and is consistent for all mechanical waves. In contrast, electromagnetic waves involve energy that is proportional to frequency, E=hf. The amplitude in electromagnetic waves is related to the density of particles and is set at the smallest measurable value, known as Plank's constant. The photoelectric effect shows that the energy of an electromagnetic wave is only proportional to frequency and not amplitude. The value of k is the frequency and does not vary with materials in mechanical waves. Material inefficiencies can be accounted for separately when calculating energy transfer through a material.
DarkDrag0nite
---------- About Mechanics waves ---------

We know that in mechanics waves, energy is proportion to Amplitude^2.
So we can write equation as E = kA^2 , where k is a constant.

Is it possible to find this constant (k) ?
Is k different in other waves (meaning it is depended on other values) or it is constant to all mechanics waves ?

---------- About Electromagnetics waves ---------

Does "Energy proportion to Amplitude^2" also apllied to ElectroMagnetics waves ?

Is the result of photoelectric effect meaning that energy of EM waves is not proportion to amplitude but only frequency ?

Will the calculation be accurated if I calculate energy from Amplitude^2 in EM waves ?

Thank in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does amplitude have any meaning for a photon?

Dr_Morbius said:
In electromagnetic waves the energy is proportional to the frequency, E=hf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation

h taking the place of A^2 as the smallest measurable density.

The energy of any wave is proportional to the product of the density(amplitude) and the frequency.

Likes George Highlander
LostConjugate said:
h taking the place of A^2 as the smallest measurable density.

The energy of any wave is proportional to the product of the density(amplitude) and the frequency.

Yes but for an EM wave does that mean that the amplitude is always set to a certain value?

Drakkith said:
Yes but for an EM wave does that mean that the amplitude is always set to a certain value?

No, not at all. The particle view attempts to break down the EM wave into a collection of particles. The Amplitude is now the density of particles, each particle having the minimum measurable amplitude and only differing in frequency.

It is just a point of view.

LostConjugate said:
No, not at all. The particle view attempts to break down the EM wave into a collection of particles. The Amplitude is now the density of particles, each particle having the minimum measurable amplitude and only differing in frequency.

It is just a point of view.

So the amplitude of a single photon is set then?

Drakkith said:
Hold on, are you talking about a collection of photons or about just one?

I was talking about a collection of photons, that is what an EM wave is right?

Drakkith said:
So the amplitude of a single photon is set then?

Yup, it is the smallest measurable amplitude of an EM wave. Plank's constant

Likes Joao
LostConjugate said:
I was talking about a collection of photons, that is what an EM wave is right?

Not really. An EM wave to me means a photon. But I could be incorrect.

LostConjugate said:
Yup, it is the smallest measurable amplitude of an EM wave. Plank's constant

Ok, so Planks constant, AKA the amplitude, helps defines the energy of a particle because a higher frequency would have more waves per second, more peaks or whatever?

Drakkith said:
Not really.

Ok, so Planks constant, AKA the amplitude, helps defines the energy of a particle because a higher frequency would have more waves per second, more peaks or whatever?

The frequency is the velocity of the source charge, or the rate of change of the wave function. Combine this with the amplitude^2 to get your energy.

In the particle view, the particles have the lowest measurable amplitude, empirically found to be plank's constant.

Drakkith said:
Not really. An EM wave to me means a photon. But I could be incorrect.

A photon is the quanta of an EM wave.

Edit: it is nothing like a wave.

LostConjugate said:
A photon is the quanta of an EM wave.

Edit: it is nothing like a wave.

Hrmm. I am unsure about this. A photon is quantized, but I think that the photon IS the EM wave.

Thank everyone.

DarkDrag0nite said:
Is the result of photoelectric effect meaning that energy of EM waves is not proportion to amplitude but only frequency ?

But I think I am missing some important point of Photoelectric effect. Isn't that means amplitude is not proportion to energy ?

DarkDrag0nite said:
Thank everyone.

But I think I am missing some important point of Photoelectric effect. Isn't that means amplitude is not proportion to energy ?

That is correct. The change in wavelength determines the amount of change in energy of an EM wave. (Photon) Double the frequency (half the wavelength) and you double the energy.

somebody tell me what is the value of "k".
It is constant (or) varies with materials?

Drakkith said:
That is correct. The change in wavelength determines the amount of change in energy of an EM wave. (Photon) Double the frequency (half the wavelength) and you double the energy.

Anyway, Wavelength and Amplitude are different.

maruthisarat said:
somebody tell me what is the value of "k".
It is constant (or) varies with materials?

k would be your frequency. The material is not usually taken into account with mechanical waves when determining the energy transferred through the material, it is usually taken to be some material that is good at transferring energy. If you want to look into inefficiencies in the material first you take the mechanical wave energy and then you apply inefficiencies in some complex manner.

Likes George Highlander

1. What is the relationship between amplitude and energy in waves?

The amplitude of a wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that waves with larger amplitudes carry more energy than waves with smaller amplitudes.

2. How does frequency affect the energy of a wave?

The frequency of a wave is also directly proportional to its energy. This means that waves with higher frequencies have more energy than waves with lower frequencies.

3. Can the amplitude and frequency of a wave be changed?

Yes, the amplitude and frequency of a wave can be changed. The amplitude can be changed by adjusting the strength or intensity of the source of the wave, while the frequency can be changed by changing the speed at which the source is vibrating.

4. What happens to the energy of a wave when it travels through a medium?

The energy of a wave does not change as it travels through a medium. However, the amplitude and frequency of the wave may change due to factors such as absorption, reflection, and refraction.

5. How does the energy of a wave affect its speed?

The energy of a wave does not affect its speed. The speed of a wave is determined by the properties of the medium it is traveling through, such as density and elasticity.