Understanding Limits: A Method for Evaluating Complex Limits Without Operations

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of a limit without using the basic operations on limits. The limit is easily computed by dividing the numerator and the denominator by x and the answer turns out to be \sqrt{3}. However, the method to arrive at this conclusion is unclear without using the operations on limits. The conversation then explores the possibility of using the \epsilon-\delta definition to prove the limit is indeed \sqrt{3}, but it may get messy.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I am asked to evaluate this limit

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\frac{\sqrt{3x^2+11x+7}+\sqrt{3x^2-11x+7}}{x+\sqrt{x^2+7}} [/tex]

but without use of the basic operations on limits (ex: the limit of a sum is the sum of the limits if they exist, etc.) (because they are to be introduced only in the next chapter). I know the limit is very easily computed: just divide the numerator and the denominator by x and the answer is [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]:

[tex]= \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\frac{\sqrt{3+\frac{11}{x}+\frac{7}{x^2}}+\sqrt{3-\frac{11}{x}+\frac{7}{x^2}}}{1+\sqrt{1+\frac{7}{x^2}}} = \sqrt{3}[/tex]

But what is the "method" to arrive to this conclusion? The facts that

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\frac{11}{x} = 0[/tex]

and that

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\frac{7}{x^2} = 0[/tex]

are useless if we cannot use the operations on limits. I hope I made clear where my confusion comes from. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are 3 rules of infinite limits:

1. If the power of the top is the same as the power of the bottom, take the coefficients:

[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac {4x^2 + 3x + 7}{2x^2 + 2x + 1} = \frac {4}{2}=2
[/tex]

2. If the power of the bottom is larger than the power of the top, the limit is zero:

[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac {x^2 + 4x}{x^3 + 7x} = 0
[/tex]

3. If the power of the top is larger than the power of the bottom, the limit does not exist:

[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac {x^3 + 3x - 7}{x^2 + 4x} = dne
[/tex]

I don't think these are operations; they are just facts. In your case:

[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\frac{\sqrt{3x^2+11x+7}+\sqrt{3x^2-11x+7}}{x+\sqrt{x^2+7}}
[/tex]

the top and bottom are only to the power [tex] x^1 [/tex] and so you take the coefficients, [tex] \frac {\sqrt{3}}{1}=\sqrt{3} [/tex] Hopefully this helps you.

I'm afraid I'm not allowed to use your rules. Only the definition of limit, the caracterisation with sequences and a few theorems about the unicity and the "limit to the right, limit to the left" caracterisation.

Let me ask the question another way: What are the steps between

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\frac{\sqrt{3+\frac{11}{x}+\frac{7}{x^2}}+\sqrt{3-\frac{11}{x}+\frac{7}{x^2}}}{1+\sqrt{1+\frac{7}{x^ 2}}}[/tex]

and

[tex] = \sqrt{3}[/tex]

I tought of something this morning, could it be it? Now that we suspect using our "sense" that the limit is [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex], we may use the [itex]\epsilon-\delta[/itex] definition to prove that it is indeed [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]. But I don't really see how. :shy:

quasar987 said:
I'm afraid I'm not allowed to use your rules. Only the definition of limit, the caracterisation with sequences and a few theorems about the unicity and the "limit to the right, limit to the left" caracterisation.

Let me ask the question another way: What are the steps between

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\frac{\sqrt{3+\frac{11}{x}+\frac{7}{x^2}}+\sqrt{3-\frac{11}{x}+\frac{7}{x^2}}}{1+\sqrt{1+\frac{7}{x^ 2}}}[/tex]

and

[tex] = \sqrt{3}[/tex]

I tought of something this morning, could it be it? Now that we suspect using our "sense" that the limit is [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex], we may use the [itex]\epsilon-\delta[/itex] definition to prove that it is indeed [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]. But I don't really see how. :shy:
Right, but because you're taking the limit as x goes to infinity, not zero, I would tend to use "N" rather than epsilon.

To save space, let

[tex]f(x) = \frac{\sqrt{3+\frac{11}{x}+\frac{7}{x^2}}+
\sqrt{3-\frac{11}{x}+\frac{7}{x^2}}}
{1+\sqrt{1+\frac{7}{x^ 2}}}
[/tex]

To apply the definition directly, what you need to do is assume you have a value for delta, and then solve for N in the equation:

[tex]f(N) - \sqrt{3} = \delta[/tex]

And once you've done that, you need to show that

[tex]x > N \Rightarrow |f(x) - \sqrt{3}| < |f(N) - \sqrt{3}|[/tex]

It looks likely to get messy, which, if nothing else, illustrates why we don't generally work directly from the definition of the limit.

Great, thanks.

1. What is a limit and why is it important?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that represents the value a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. It is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values at certain points.

2. How do I find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, simplifying, or using special limits rules. You can also use graphical methods, such as plotting the function or using a graphing calculator. In some cases, you may need to use more advanced techniques like L'Hospital's rule.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit looks at the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value from only one direction, either from the left or the right. A two-sided limit considers the behavior of the function as the input approaches from both the left and the right, and the limit only exists if both one-sided limits are equal.

4. Can a function have a limit at a point but not be continuous at that point?

Yes, a function can have a limit at a point but not be continuous at that point. This can happen if the function has a jump or a hole at that point. In order for a function to be continuous at a point, it must have a limit at that point and the value of the function must also be equal to the limit.

5. Are there any real-life applications of limits?

Yes, limits have many real-life applications, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, limits are used to calculate instantaneous velocity and acceleration, determine the maximum load a bridge can hold, and optimize production processes in manufacturing. They are also used in economics to analyze supply and demand and in biology to model population growth.