Expression for Variances in X with Respect to W, Y, and Z

• Thread starter 123infinity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the expression for the variances in x with respect to the variables w, y, and z. The equation for variance is provided and the individual is unsure if they should be thinking about sample/population variance or relating it to standard deviation. They are seeking help to approach the problem.
123infinity

Homework Statement

Determine the expression for the variances in x (that is [itex]\sigma[/itex]2) with respect to the appropriate variables for the following:

a) X = [itex]\frac{wy}{z}[/itex], with variance in w,y,z

Homework Equations

I'm having trouble typing out the equation, but the equation I know for variance is here:
http://people.richland.edu/james/ictcm/2001/descriptive/helpvariance.html

Maybe I'm not thinking about this the right way, should I not be thinking about sample/population variance? So then I just tried thinking about what I'm trying to find... Maybe I should be thinking about relating it to standard deviation to find it?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Attempt at a Solution I'm not sure how to approach this problem, any help would be greatly appreciated!

What is an expression for the variances?

An expression for the variances is a mathematical formula that represents the measure of variability or spread of a set of data points around their mean. It is used to quantify the amount of dispersion or deviation from the average value.

How do you calculate the variance?

The variance is calculated by taking the sum of squared differences between each data point and the mean, and dividing it by the total number of data points. This is also known as the average of the squared deviations from the mean.

What is the purpose of using the expression for the variances?

The expression for the variances is used to understand the distribution of data and to compare the variability between different data sets. It helps in making statistical inferences and drawing conclusions about the underlying population.

Is there a difference between population and sample variance?

Yes, there is a difference between population variance and sample variance. Population variance is calculated using the entire population of data, while sample variance is calculated using a subset of the population. Sample variance tends to be slightly underestimated compared to population variance.

How can the expression for the variances be used in data analysis?

The expression for the variances is an important tool in data analysis as it helps in identifying the spread of data, detecting outliers, and making comparisons between different data sets. It is also used in the calculation of other important statistical measures such as standard deviation and standard error.