Why Can't These Equations Be Solved Analytically?

• Thread starter superg33k
  • Start date
In summary, it has been proven that some polynomial equations, integrals, and differential equations cannot be solved analytically. This proof requires a deep understanding of Galois theory and differential Galois theory. For a more elementary introduction, books such as "a book on abstract algebra" and "algorithms for computer algebra" provide simpler proofs. However, even these proofs require a significant amount of study.
superg33k
In my textbooks every now and again it says "these equations can't be solved analytically" or just "this can't be solved". For example my current book claims:

[tex] \frac{dx}{dt}=-kBe^{kz}\sin(kx-\omega t) [/tex], and
[tex] \frac{dz}{dt}=kBe^{kz}\cos(kx-\omega t) [/tex],

can't be solved analytically.

How do they know it can't be solved? I hope its the case that someone has proved it can't be solved, however I have never seen these proofs (I don't think). Is there an area of maths that that I can have a look at to understand more about how they make these statements? Or can anyone point me to some simple proof showing certain types of PDE's or polynomials or the above or something not too complicated that can't be solved?

Thanks for any help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are asking a deep question. It has indeed been rigorously proven that some polynomial equations/integrals/DE's can't be analytically solved. But the proof of this is by all means not easy.

To see why polynomials can't be solved in general, you must read a book on Galois theory. The book "a book on abstract algebra" is a very elementary introduction to Galois theory and provides a simple proof. But it still takes more than 200 pages before the proof can be given.
The book "Galois theory" by Stewart is a more thorough book.

To see why integrals can't be solved analytically, I must refer you to Liouville's theorem. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liouville's_theorem_(differential_algebra)
The book "algorithms for computer algebra" by Geddes, Czapor, Labahn gives a nice proof of the fact without using too much abstraction.

In general, the solution to DE's and stuff requires differential Galois theory. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_Galois_theory

Thank you. I'll have a lot of fun exploring this. I'm sure I'll get lost quickly though.

1. What does it mean when a problem cannot be solved analytically?

When a problem cannot be solved analytically, it means that there is no exact mathematical solution or formula that can be used to find the answer. This type of problem often requires numerical methods or approximations to find a solution.

2. Why are some problems unable to be solved analytically?

There are various reasons why a problem may not have an analytical solution. It could be due to the complexity of the problem, the lack of known mathematical techniques or formulas, or the problem may be too abstract to be solved with traditional methods.

3. Can a problem that cannot be solved analytically still have a solution?

Yes, a problem that cannot be solved analytically may still have a solution. It just means that the solution cannot be found using traditional mathematical methods. Instead, numerical methods or approximations may be used to find an approximate solution.

4. Are there any advantages to not being able to solve a problem analytically?

Yes, there are some advantages to not being able to solve a problem analytically. This limitation can lead to the development of new mathematical techniques and approaches, which can expand our understanding and problem-solving abilities in different areas of science and mathematics.

5. Is it possible for a problem to have both an analytical and numerical solution?

Yes, it is possible for a problem to have both an analytical and numerical solution. In some cases, the analytical solution may be too complex or impossible to find, so numerical methods are used to find an approximate solution.