Proving F is Finite: A Perspective on Ring Homomorphisms

• Thread starter dogma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary, for a given ring homomorphism from Z onto a field F, it can be proven that F must be finite with a prime number of elements by looking at the kernel and recognizing that an onto homomorphism is equivalent to a quotient construction in the original ring. This means that the only possible fields for F are of the form Z/p, where p is a prime number, making F finite with a prime number of elements.
dogma
Let [tex]f: Z \rightarrow F[/tex] be a ring homomorphism from Z onto a field F. Prove that F must be finite with a prime number of elements.

How would one go about proving this? I understand that multiplication and addition must be preserved in a homomorphism. I guess I must somehow show that a proper factor ring of Z is finite, but I'm not sure how.

I'd greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the kernel. Suppose it's {0}. Then F is infinite, isomorphic to Z. Z isn't a field, so that's no good. So the kernel is nZ for some nonzero n. So F is isomorphic to Z/nZ for some n.

Thanks, Euclid.

That was the ticket to get me on the right path.

Take care.

another point of view is to recognize that an onto homomorphism is another way of thinking of a qupotient construction in the opriginal ring.

i.e. up to isomorphism, the only possible onto homomorphisms are of form R-->R/I, where I is an ideal in R. So just ask what the ideals are in Z. The only ones that give f8ields are maximal ideals, and the only maximal ideals in Z are of form Zp where p is prime, so the only possible fields of form Z/I are the finite fields Z/p.

this is another view on the same answer above. but the moral is that all the information about an onto homomorphism is already contained in the original ring. i.e. an onto map is just a way of making identifications in the original ring.

1. What is a ring homomorphism?

A ring homomorphism is a function that preserves the algebraic structure of a ring. In other words, it maps elements from one ring to another in a way that respects the ring's addition and multiplication operations.

2. How is a ring homomorphism different from a group homomorphism?

While both are algebraic structures, there are some key differences between a ring homomorphism and a group homomorphism. Group homomorphisms preserve the group's multiplication operation, while ring homomorphisms preserve both the addition and multiplication operations of a ring. Additionally, rings have two operations (addition and multiplication) while groups only have one (multiplication).

3. What are the properties of a ring homomorphism?

A ring homomorphism has three main properties: it preserves addition, it preserves multiplication, and it maps the multiplicative identity of one ring to the multiplicative identity of the other ring. Additionally, it also maps the additive identity of one ring to the additive identity of the other ring.

4. How do you prove that a function is a ring homomorphism?

To prove that a function is a ring homomorphism, you must show that it satisfies the three properties: preservation of addition, preservation of multiplication, and mapping of identities. This can be done by showing that the function produces the same result as the ring's operations when applied to elements of the ring.

5. What is the significance of ring homomorphisms in mathematics?

Ring homomorphisms are important in mathematics because they help us understand the structure and properties of rings. They allow us to study the relationship between different rings and how they are related through the mapping of elements. Additionally, ring homomorphisms are used in many branches of mathematics, such as abstract algebra and number theory.