Need help understanding how to interpret a statistics problem

• Thread starter bennyska
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the conversation is about finding a statistic, named "a", that is a function of Y_{1},Y_{2},...Y_{n} and is unbiased for F_{X}(c)=\Phi\left(\dfrac{c-\mu}{\sigma}\right). The variables X_{i} are distributed from a normal distribution with mean "mu" and standard deviation "sigma". The variables U=SUM(X_i) and W=SUM(X_i^2) may also be relevant.
bennyska

Homework Statement

Let c be a constant, and define [tex]Y_{i}=1[/tex] if [tex]X_{i}\leq[/tex] c and zero otherwise. Find a statistic that is a function of [tex]Y_{1},Y_{2},...Y_{n}[/tex] and also unbiased for [tex]F_{X}(c)=\Phi\left(\dfrac{c-\mu}{\sigma}\right).[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

not even sure how to being. i want some function of y_1,...,y_n, call it a, such that E(a)=phi((c-mu)/sigma)... but, yeah... i have no idea where to begin.

also, sorry for my crappy latex

Physics news on Phys.org
oh, i left out that X_i are distributed from a N(mu,sigma), and U=SUM(X_i) and W=SUM(X_i^2), if that matters.

1. What is the first step in interpreting a statistics problem?

The first step in interpreting a statistics problem is to carefully read and understand the problem statement. This will help you identify what information is given and what is being asked for.

2. How do I determine which statistical test to use?

The statistical test to use will depend on the type of data you have and the research question you are trying to answer. It is important to have a good understanding of different statistical tests and their assumptions to make an informed decision.

3. What does p-value represent in a statistical test?

P-value represents the probability of obtaining a result as extreme or more extreme than the observed result, assuming the null hypothesis is true. A smaller p-value indicates stronger evidence against the null hypothesis.

4. How do I know if my results are statistically significant?

To determine if your results are statistically significant, you need to compare the p-value to the chosen significance level (usually 0.05). If the p-value is less than the significance level, it means that the results are unlikely to occur by chance and are considered statistically significant.

5. What should I do if I don't understand a statistical concept or calculation?

If you are having trouble understanding a statistical concept or calculation, it is best to seek help from a statistician or a teacher. You can also refer to online resources or textbooks for further explanations and examples.