Masses connected by cables - Tension in cables?

In summary, A 4.98-kg block is placed on top of a 11.4-kg block on a frictionless table with a coefficient of static friction of 0.500. The maximum horizontal force that can be applied before the 4.98-kg block begins to slip relative to the 11.4-kg block is determined by finding the acceleration of the system, which can be calculated by dividing the tension by the total mass of the blocks. From there, the tension can be found by subtracting the known tension T1 from the total mass multiplied by the acceleration. This method was used to find T2 in a similar problem involving three blocks connected by massless strings. The correct answer was arrived at
samantha.

Homework Statement

A 4.98-kg block is placed on top of a 11.4-kg block that rests on a frictionless table. The coefficient of static friction between the two blocks is 0.500. What is the maximum horizontal force that can be applied before the 4.98-kg block begins to slip relative to the 11.4-kg block, if the force is applied to the more massive block?

Homework Equations

I'm thinking something like Fnet = F1 + F2 + F3 but I'm not really sure..

The Attempt at a Solution

First I just assumed that the tension would be equal since the mass is constant but of course it's not that easy..

I found acceleration to be 1.108N/Kg by taking the tension and diving by the mass 2 and 3. That seems to be the only thing I can do with that information and I don't know what to do with that accerlation. Could I times it by say mass 1+mass 2 to get the tension?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you mixed up this problem with another? What cables? What tension?

My bad.. I didn't copy it properly. The question is;
Three blocks on a frictionless surface are connected by massless strings, with M1 = 1.60kg, M2 = 2.10kg, and M3 = 3.70kg. Due to the force F acting on M3, the system accelerates to the right. Given that T1 is 4.10Newtons, calculate T2.

I'm thinking that I may be on to something here but usually I'm not..

T1 + T2 = mass total*acceleration of the system?

samantha. said:
My bad.. I didn't copy it properly. The question is;
Three blocks on a frictionless surface are connected by massless strings, with M1 = 1.60kg, M2 = 2.10kg, and M3 = 3.70kg. Due to the force F acting on M3, the system accelerates to the right. Given that T1 is 4.10Newtons, calculate T2.

I'm thinking that I may be on to something here but usually I'm not..

T1 + T2 = mass total*acceleration of the system?

What string(s) is/are attached to M1, and what tension is in it/them?

Sorry, Is that a intuitive question for me or is that information you need to know?

samantha. said:
Sorry, Is that a intuitive question for me or is that information you need to know?

Both, since there is no picture of the situation.

I actually managed to get the right answer.
Thanks though! :)

samantha. said:
I actually managed to get the right answer.
Thanks though! :)

DO you think you got it by chance or by logical analysis?

I arrived at the answer by chance but now that it's done and I can see my procedure, it makes logical sense.

1. What is tension in cables?

Tension in cables refers to the amount of force or pull exerted on the cables when they are supporting the weight of objects or masses. It is a measure of the internal stress or strain within the cables.

2. How is tension in cables calculated?

Tension in cables can be calculated using the formula T = mg, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object being supported, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the cables are perfectly horizontal and there are no other external forces acting on them.

3. How does the angle of the cables affect tension?

The angle of the cables affects tension by increasing or decreasing the amount of force required to support the same mass. As the angle increases, the tension in the cables also increases, since the force is distributed over a smaller area. This is known as the vector component of the tension.

4. What happens to tension when the mass increases?

As the mass being supported by the cables increases, the tension in the cables also increases. This is because the weight of the mass exerts a greater downward force on the cables, requiring them to exert a greater upward force to maintain equilibrium.

5. How does the length of the cables affect tension?

The length of the cables has a direct effect on tension. As the length of the cables increases, the tension decreases, since the force is distributed over a larger area. This is known as the inverse relationship between tension and length.